Part 17

Classes soon finished, which lead to the most annoying part of my day. A part that I really didn't want to deal with especially on my birthday. I followed my friends back to the lockers and to the canteen along with Mateo hovering over me. Other students flashed curious looks as we passed them in the corridors, but Mateo seemed to maintain a smile as the looks continued through the day whereas I sent them my own glare.

---

'I'm excited, I hear this is where everything goes down' he says eagerly looking forward to the canteen experience. I rolled my eyes and let out a sigh. 'No, this is where my brothers are' my voice laced with nerves but Mateo didn't notice.   

Suddenly as we entered the canteen area, I noticed Mateo tensing up and walking a lot more neutral beside me. His whole aura changed, his jokes and whispering in my ear turned into a guard-like presence. I peeked up to his eyes and like I suspected they darted over to the one and only; Stonewood Brothers Table. I realised that their authority and power were very dominate and important for people like Mateo to respect. However, I didn't dare connect with them and continued walking with Brad, Troy, Camilla and Zara as we made our way to the table in the corner like usual. 

As we sat down, I made room for Mateo but to my surprise, he wasn't behind me. As I searched around curious to find him, my eyes land on his hurried figure walking to my brother's table, on Reid's gesture, like flagging a waiter at a restaurant. 

I gently moved my gaze to my friends trying to engage in their conversation. 'Sierra, who is that hunk that's been glued to you since the start of day' Zara asked along with a cheeky grin. They all were intrigued for my answer, I knew I had to lie. Mateo planted how I should approach this question this morning and I know if I tell the truth then it will spiral back to my brothers somehow and will not end well, for me, and for them. 'He's just my best friend from way back' I said giggling. Oh if only it was that easy. 

After minutes passed, I had this feeling at the pit of my stomach, dying to glance over at Mateo and my brothers. I subdued the feeling for another few minutes until I had an urge to check. As I subtly gaze across the canteen, my eyes land on my brother's table. More specifically, my eyes land on Mateo's fit figure blending in with all the boys at the table. 

I can't believe they put this bodyguard thing on me and not to mention the first day is my birthday. Well. Now I see why Tyler was able to change Noah's opinion about making me sit on my brother's table, he just thought a bodyguard would be better instead. 

They can't possibly think, I believe it's only for my safety regarding what happened with Jeremy. There was definitely something else happening. 

With all effort broken, I lock eyes with Reid, his glare sending shivers down my spine at the thought of what happened on my first day. Our stare grew longer before I quickly divert away from Reid and incidentally to Kai. 

Kai's look warmed me as his smile grew bigger mouthing the words happy birthday, flashing a wink before I mouthed thank you back and focused my attention back at my friends on my table. 

I enjoyed the rest of my lunch with my friends, they kept asking about my plans for tonight but my guess was as good as theirs, I had no idea. Not a clue. Mateo stayed with my brothers the whole lunch and even though I was starting to enjoy his company a little more, it was really nice to have a lunch only with my friends and for it to feel normal again. 

The bell was about to ring as I checked the time. We all got up, Brad, Troy and Camilla left for their class leaving Zara and me to go to ours. Unsure if I was to wait for Mateo, I started to make my way towards my locker. 'Sierra, Reid is coming on your right' she warned, only loud enough for me to hear. My stomach started to turn at the thought of Reid coming and scolding me for some random thing in front of the whole canteen. Especially since I'd almost gone the whole lunch without any troubles.