Chapter 1

"I promise this is the last time I ask because, to be quite honest, I don't want to waste my time anymore," James leaned against a tree that Lily sat under after exams.
"No, I don't want to go out with you," Lily said without looking up from her book. James nodded, looking defeated.
"Okay. Well... friends then?" He asked and Lily looked up.
"Yeah okay."
"I'll see you next year, Evans," James grinned and set back off for the castle.

"Lily," Marlene snapped at Lily and she jerked up.
"Sorry what?" Lily smiled at her friend.
"What were you thinking about?" Marlene narrowed her eyes.
"Nothing, nothing," Lily pushed the memory of last year out of her mind and returned to her Charms homework. She looked up as the portrait hole swung open and the four marauders walked in laughing. James looked over mid-laugh and waved at Lily. Lily gave a weak smile and turned back to homework.
"No more hating Potter?" Marlene raised her eyes. "We've been in school almost a month now. Have you even talked to him?"
"Hate is a strong word I never hated him. At the end of last year he said we could be friends and he said he was done trying so we're friends I guess. I don't know," Lily sighed and closed her book as she couldn't focus.
"So now that you can't have him, you want him?" Marlene laughed.
"No definitely not. It's just a weird dynamic," Lily shook her head and shot a glance to the boys who sat by the fire.
"Well you know what's not a weird dynamic," Marlene grinned as Sirius made his way over. Lily noticed Remus and James watching Sirius as he slid next to Marlene.
"Ms. McKinnon?" Sirius flashed a smile at her. "Would you do me the pleasure of joining me on a late night journey?" He cocked his head and put his hand on her thigh. He whispered something in her ear and she smiled.
"I'll talk to you tonight?" Marlene asked Lily  and she nodded. Sirius grabbed her hand and pulled her out of the portrait home. Remus slipped Sirius a galleon.
Lily packed everything back up in her bag and checked her watch. It was ten o'clock and most people had left the common room.
"Lily come sit with us," Remus called over to her.
"Oh thanks. I should, erm, head upstairs," She smiled and Remus shook his head as if saying nonsense. She hesitated before sinking into a chair by the fire.
The whole interaction felt awkward and forced before Lily excused herself to bed insisting she was really tired.
The next day James sat himself next to Lily at breakfast. The other three boys were no where to be seen.
"Hey I just wanted to clear the air. We haven't really talked since last year and I just wanted you to know that I really have changed and I would like to be friends," James looked at Lily honestly. "And in the spirit of friends," James pulled out parchment, "Quiddich has taken up all my time and I don't understand what's happening in Charms. At all," he hesitated and looked at Lily. Lily held back a smile and started explaining the lecture from yesterday to James.
"Hey James," Emily, a sixth year Ravenclaw, smiled at James at batted her eyes as she walked by.
"Hey Emily," James turned and smiled at her warmly.
Lily felt a pang in her chest and tried her best to ignore the inevitable truth.
You ignored him for years. This is just a friendship. Lily reminded herself, or more so tried to convince herself.