Chapter 20

"How on earth-?" Lily began to question how James had even learned to apparate but he dragged her inside the gates to the house. Lily's mouth fell open at the sight of the house. She knew the Potter's had money but this, this was insane.

"Sorry, just never know who's creeping on the outside," James shoved his hands deep into his pockets and kicked a pebble on the ground. "And I have been practicing with my dad all summer. Only a couple of splinches that were super minor," James answered her unasked question with an embarrassed smile. He knew that Lily was staring at how big the house was and he felt guilty having grown up so lavishly. 

"Lily!" They were saved an awkward silence as Sirius ran outside and tackled Lily.

"Sirius," Lily laughed and the two were pushed backwards from the force. His wild hair tickled the ends of her nose and Lily closed her eyes. "Thank you for the letters this summer," Lily pulled away and messed up his hair in an affectionate way. James cleared his throat and Lily turned to him with a smile. "You too," she added and James grinned, running his hand through his hair.

"Was it as bad as you described?" Sirius whispered and Lily hesitated.

"It wasn't good. I think there was about fifteen words all summer and most of them from today," Lily sighed and ran a hand through her hair. She had cut her hair over summer so instead of falling to her mid back, it fell maybe an inch below her collar bone. The curls were more waves as it only curled at the bottoms when it was longer. 

"Same here," Sirius nodded, sadly. The two had really bonded over the summer after realizing they both love their sibling but their sibling is making bad decisions in life. "I keep writing him letters but he hasn't responded in a month," Sirius looked at the ground and Lily pulled him into a tight hug. Sirius would never tell Lily, but she gave the best hugs in the world. The two had forgotten James who was standing awkwardly, a couple feet away. He wasn't totally sure what they were talking about but let them have their moment.

"Anyways. Hot damn girl," Sirius let go of Lily and looked her up and down. 

"I look exactly the same except for a haircut," Lily laughed and looked down at her body. 

"Did you grow though," His eyes darted to her chest. Both Lily and James smacked him rather hard and he groaned. "I'll take that as a yes."

"Sirius Black," Lily laughed as he ducked to avoid another hit before running into the house, glancing over his shoulder and giving a wicked smile. Lily shook her head and then looked at James. 

"Ready?" He grinned and Lily nodded. He stepped ahead of Lily and lead the way up the brick pathway to the front door. Lily felt like she should bow or something before going in. It seemed so royal. James watched Lily as she looked around the entry hall. There was a stereotypical grand staircase that lead upstairs. The wallpaper was a light, pastel purple that when you looked close enough had flowers and vines woven in. The floor was a fake wood that was stained white and so clean somehow, despite Sirius running through it with his shoes on. 

"You must be Lily," Euphemia Potter entered the hall and smiled at Lily. Lily noticed straight away the smile crinkles by her eyes that James had, as well as the same hazel eyes. They even had the same pointy chin. 

"Hi," Lily smiled and Euphemia engulfed Lily in a bone crushing hug despite Euphemia's small size. 

"Mum," James said, embarrassed, but his mother tutted at him before turning back to Lily. 

"It's so great to meet you. Fleamont and I have heard so much about you the past couple years. It's 'Evans this' and 'Lily that' and 'she's so-'"

"Mum!" James interjected this time a little more forcefully and Lily laughed.