Chapter 10

Lily and James finally left the classroom around one am.
"The castle's so beautiful at night," Lily looked down the corridor which was barely illuminated. The portraits were sleeping, a couple had small snores.
"Come on," James gently grabbed her hand and tugged her in the opposite direction of Gryffindor tower.
"Where are we going?" Lily asked and followed him a little reluctantly.
"You'll see."
"We're going to get in trouble," Lily whispered as they walked up the stairs.
"We're only in trouble if we get caught," James shot a goofy grin to Lily.
"But-"
"And if you keep talking, we're going to get caught," James whispered and continued to pull her down a hallway. "Joking. I mean not really but I like listening to you talk."
"Nice save," Lily rolled her eyes a little and before she could comprehend what was happening, James had quickly pushed her behind a suit of armor.
"Shhh," James covered Lily's mouth with his hand. They both peered around the statue as the sound of footsteps grew louder. Severus Snape walked past with a couple students that Lily didn't recognize.
"What are they doing at this time of night?" James asked softly once they were out of sight and removed his hand.
"I don't think we want to know," Lily said quietly.
"Maybe you're right," James sighed.
"How did you hear him?"
"Let's go back to the common room. I don't have a good feeling about whatever he's up to," James ignored Lily's question. Lily didn't argue with that and the two made it back to the common room without being caught.
"What are you doing tomorrow?" James asked Lily before she went up to her dorm.
"I dunno. Homework? Exams are next week," Lily tilted her head.
"Maybe during break we can get some alone time?" James asked and Lily was glad it was dark enough that he couldn't see her blush.
"Maybe," she smiled to herself. James gave her a long hug. The kind that Lily never wanted to end. She felt safe and protected there, no matter what was really going on. "Be careful tomorrow," Lily murmured in James's ear.
"Always am," he grinned goofily and kissed her cheek. "I'll see you for breakfast."

The next morning, Lily waited and waited for James to go to breakfast and eventually gave up. She walked down to the great hall alone. Lily ended up not seeing James the entire day. That being said, she hadn't seen any of the marauders that day. Not in the halls, not at meals, not even in the common room.
She tried to spend the time studying with Marlene. However, she realized after rereading the same sentence for the seventeenth time that she couldn't study.
"What's wrong?" Marlene asked Lily as she shut her book.
"There's no reason to be worried right?" Lily asked Marlene who looked clueless. "Right sorry. Nothing," Lily sighed when she realized that Remus hadn't told Marlene.
"Maybe Potter is a bad influence on you," Marlene smiled. "I've never seen you so unfocused and flustered."
"I just have this feeling that something's going to happen," Lily sat on her hands and watched out the window.
"I'm sure you're just being over dramatic. What? Did you take divination? See evil in a crystal ball?"
"Shut up," Lily laughed which earned the pair of witches a stern stare from the librarian. Marlene suddenly leaned in.
"Have you heard the rumors?" She whispered.
"About what?" Lily leaned in as well.
"Supposedly You-Know-Who is trying to gather followers from inside Hogwarts to try and get intel on more of the community. I've heard he has followers in Hogsmeade," Marlene spoke in a hushed whisper and kept glancing around to make sure no one was listening. "He's blackmailing some but there's supposedly a lot of Slytherins just joining him because they think he's right. It's spooky as hell," Marlene shivered. Lily tried not to think about the night before with Severus sneaking around. 
"Who told you?" Lily asked quietly.
"I overheard Professor McGonagal talking to Professor Dumbledore in the staff lounge when I was going for help," Marlene said. "She sounded worried."
"Was Dumbledore?" Lily asked and watched a student pass their table. Marlene waited until the zone was clear and then leaned in again.
"It's hard to tell. His voice is always so calm. He kept referring to order. I dunno. We have order? It didn't make sense to me but then he opened the door," Marlene shrugged and leaned back. "Let me tell you though, if I don't die trying to take him down then my life will be wasted."
"Don't even joke about that," Lily rolled her eyes.
"I'm serious! I want to fight," Marlene said firmly.
"I just want to survive all this to be honest. If fighting is what it takes I'll fight though. I know James and Sirius will," Lily leaned on her palm. The two left the library with heavy thoughts on their minds.

That night Lily tossed and turned. She dreamt of fighting next to James and Marlene. Voldemort had grabbed her and put his hand over her mouth to muffle her screams as he dragged her away from James. Lily opened her eyes in a panic only to find her mouth really was being covered. She was ready to scream and met eyes with Sirius who was maybe an inch over her.
"Shhhh," he whispered shakily.
"How did you get up here?!" Lily hissed and covered her top with the sheets.
"James is hurt. You have to come help me," Sirius's voice shook and Lily felt her heart hit the floor.

Authors note: I'm soooooo sorry for such a delay in updates! I should be updating around once a week now!