Chapter 39

The marauder gang returned to Hogwarts the following January. Despite being on holiday when James and Lily got together, it seemed the whole castle knew that they were together again.

One specific night, about a week after classes had started, Lily was sat on the floor in front of the fire with Remus, Sirius, Marlene, and Peter surrounded on the cushy sofa and oversized armchair. James had just gotten back from his patrols and fell down in the middle of the group of them, dramatically.

"Sooooo tired," he sighed and looked over to Lily. He threw his arm over his head and looked to the ceiling, sighing louder.

"Shush," Lily nudged him with her foot as she continued to write furiously.

"What on earth can you be working on? We just got back," Marlene looked at Lily.

"Potions essay," James, Remus, and Lily responded in perfect unison. James moved to sit next to Sirius on the couch who was hogging the candy. Lily glanced up as she heard some snickering and then snapped her head back up right after looking at her paper again. She slowly looked around the room and set her quill down.

"Uh oh," James grinned and took a lemon pop out of a bag.

"Has anyone noticed that at least three quarters of the people in this room are starring at us?" Lily looked with her brows furrowed at the three on the couch. 

"Told you she'd notice," James mumbled under his breath and elbowed Sirius in the ribs. Lily's mouth fell open and she moved her essay to the side. She crawled over to Sirius and moved to stand on her knees, arms folded.

"What did you do?" Lily jabbed Sirius in the chest and he winced.

"Ouch. Control your woman," Sirius frowned. James let out a low whistle and moved onto the floor again.

"Sirius Black," Lily whispered.

"Okay okay. Through no fault of my own, it seems most of the school knows the head boy and head girl are dating... again... after snogging in the prefects bathroom and getting caught by a fifth year... they started dating while being alone at his house," Sirius threw up his hands in complete mystery. Lily's mouth dropped open and she turned to James.

"You knew?" She asked, trying to hold back a laugh.

"We had bets to cash in, OY!" James laughed a Lily smacked his leg and grabbed her around the waist. 

"Bets," Lily rolled her eyes but allowed herself to be pulled into a bear hug by James. 

"It's okay, I'm going to use the money to buy you something pretty," James cheesed and kissed her cheek a million times until Lily couldn't help but hold back a smile. 

They couldn't hear the whispers of envy that floated around the room as they were too stuck in their world that was happy. It was them, together, and they were happy. 

It was the little house they talked about together over the hill. It would have a big kitchen on Lily's request so she could bake cookies at Christmas with their kids. They had stayed up late one night together at the Potter residence and talked about everything.

"I don't want a big house," James murmured as he drew circles on her arm. 

"A small house," Lily agreed.

"Medium house?" James suggested with a grin and Lily smiled. 

"But a big kitchen," Lily closed her eyes at the thought. "Imagine the smell of cookies going through the house in winter. I'd bake them... with kids," Lily sighed. James pressed a gentle kiss to her neck.

"We have kids?" James asked with a smile creeping onto his face.

"Mhm," Lily mumbled.

"How many?" James asked and Lily shrugged. "Five?"

"Five?" Lily turned with wide eyes. "Absolutely not."

"Okay fine," James laughed and pulled her closer to him. "Two or three?"

"Three," Lily finally spoke softly. "Two boys and one girl," She closed her eyes again.

"What if we have two girls and one boy?" James rubbed her back.

"We won't."

"We won't?" James asked, amused.

"No. I decided we won't," she grinned. 

The two sat in silence. Imagining the house on the hill with three kids running around. Lily would be stressed until James managed to grab them all and entertain them so she could admire how great he was. James would be a great dad she repeated over and over.

"Maybe not until after the war. Just... just in case," James mumbled.

"Don't talk like that," Lily sat up seriously.

"We both want to fight. I just... I think it would be better to wait," James brushed some hair from her face and coaxed her back down.

'Just in case' would ring through their ears the rest of the night. It would ring through Lily's ears years later as she heard her husband fall wandless on the stairs to protect them. 

'Just in case Harry would become an orphan' she would think on Harry's first birthday.

'Just in case' Lily would whisper as she held Harry to her chest as she heard the door start to open before placing him in the crib, ready for the worst.