Chapter 36

When Lily woke up the next morning, she had a splitting headache. Judging by the sunlight spilling through the crack of her curtains, Lily assumed she was already late for breakfast. She yanked the curtains open and rubbed her eyes. The dormitory was empty. Lily groaned and threw on a large sweatshirt and some leggings. She walked down to the common room and to the great hall. She spotted the marauders easily and made her way over.

Sirius had his head on the table, pressing the cold glasses of pumpkin juice to his cheeks. Remus was casually eating, as was Peter. Marlene wasn't eating but pushed food around. Lily couldn't even look at James so she sat next to Marlene and rubbed her temples.

"Here," Remus pulled out chocolate and handed it to Lily.

"Hey where's mine?" Sirius looked at Remus, offended.

"You roped Lily into drinking, you chose to fuck yourself up," Remus rolled his eyes and Lily laughed a little.

"Thank you," Lily took a bite. "Remind me never to drink again?" She asked Remus and he smiled.

"Nothing bad happened," Remus shrugged and Lily nodded, looking at the food on her plate. They sat in silence eating. Lily felt awkward tension but couldn't tell if she was imaging it.

"Want to hang out today?" She turned to Marlene as she finished eating and stood up.

"Thought you were studying with James?" Marlene looked at James. Lily noticed the tops of his ears turn red.

"Oh no we don't need to," Lily assured Marlene.

"Well I sorta made plans thinking you were busy," Marlene frowned. She leaned in, "Are you trying to get out of it?" Lily knew that James could hear everything they were saying.

"No. I just miss hanging out with you," Lily lied. Marlene looked doubtful as she grabbed her bag.

"You see me every night," Marlene pinched Lily's cheek and walked off.

"I'll join you guys," Remus said as he stood up. Lily felt a flood of relief knowing she wouldn't be alone with James. She still couldn't even look at him. Everything that they said last night was still echoing through her mind.

Does he even remember what happened?

Lily forced a smile and nodded.

"Right, I'll be up soon," Lily told the boys before walking out of the great hall. Her head was spinning with everything, she barely saw where she was going. She went into an abandoned classroom and sat down, taking deep breaths.

"Don't panic, don't panic, just breathe," she mumbled and closed her eyes, rocking back and forth. She took slow and deep breaths to calm her racing heart. Just as she was getting up to leave, there was a knock on the door.

"Erm, Lily?" Lily froze, recognizing James's voice.

"Yeah," she cleared her throat and the door opened as she slung her book bag across her shoulders.

"You're good?" He asked with apprehension in his voice. He hovered by the doorway, unsure if he was welcome in.

"Totally. What's up?" She tried to casually lean against the wall but overestimated how far away and just crashed into it. If James noticed, he didn't say anything.

"Just... map," James shrugged. "Seemed stressed," James started to back out and–

"Wait," Lily squeezed her eyes shut. Why did I do this? It was great he was going to leave.

"Yeah?" James asked, poking his head back in. Lily motioned her head for him to shut the door so he entered the room but stuck to the door as he shut it.

"I am stressed a little," Lily tried to make up on the spot, but she was a terrible liar. She just wanted things to not be weird between her and James.

"Yeah? You want to talk about it?" James's voice softened a little bit. Shit.

"Um. Sure, yeah," Lily ran a hand through her hair. "Well... you know... the Voldemort stuff happening is getting worse and I'm muggleborn. It's hard being away from mum and dad but if I'm with them they're in danger and I'm separated from the magic world," Lily pulled out of her ass and tried not to let the gravity of what she said actually start to worry her. James nodded, solemnly.

"I get that. You could be safer with them when you can protect them but it's hard to be away from everyone you know and love. My parents are older and if you ask anyone around, we're some of the biggest blood traitors. And Sirius's whole situation is terrifying. But we're all scared together and will fight it and get through it," James spoke slowly and softly at the beginning but got more determined and sure of himself as it went on. Lily nodded, looking at her lap as she leaned against the desk. James approached and leaned on the desk next to her, with plenty of space in between the two of them.

Lily longed to rest her head on his shoulder or touch his hand, but stayed to herself. They sat in a comfortable silence before James talked again.

"Are you going home for holiday?" James asked, glancing over at Lily. She shook her head, pursing her lips.

"No. Not with Petunia and Vermin. Mum and dad are fine with it so..." Lily trailed off and shrugged. James looked at her, brows furrowed.

"Vermin?"

"Yeah. Vermin, Vernon, get it?" Lily asked and James's mouth dropped open with the corners raising into a smile.

"That's bloody brilliant. Why didn't I think of that?" James asked the last part to himself.

"Lack the sophistication of word play comedy?" Lily smiled and looked at him. He rolled his eyes while trying to conceal his wide smile.

"Well, if you want you could come to my house. Mum would love to see you again and they usually have some type of Christmas celebration," James offered, a hint of hopefulness in his voice. Lily smiled and looked up at him. "Besides, Christmas without me and Sirius? Is that even Christmas?" James punched Lily's arm lightly.

"You got me there," Lily sighed dramatically. "Yeah that sounds lovely. I'd be delighted to join," Lily nodded.

"Delighted? So proper, I'll write to mum tonight," James stood up, holding his hand out that Lily took. "Now let's do homework."

"Who are you and what have you done with James Potter?" Lily asked and James laughed.

"Homework is fun with a beautiful girl."