Chapter 32

"Lils," Lily heard James's familiar voice sit down next to her. He reserved that nickname for when he was feeling sorry usually. Or when they were an item, but that had been a while. Lily put down her Daily Prophet and looked at the boy who sat next to her. It looked like he had been up all night.

"You look like hell," she said. James sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

"I just wanted to make sure that you were okay... after last night," James hesitated. He leaned on his hand while carefully studying Lily's face. This normally seemed like something Lily would blow up at him for but instead-

"It's fine," she said simply and picked her paper back up. She began reading again as if nothing bothered her. James sat there, frozen. 

"Yeah... well I broke up with Katie," James spoke slowly. Lily didn't look away from the paper and waved her finger around the spoon that sat in her tea to mix it. James waited for a response but Lily didn't say anything. "And I'm sorry for being such a... dumbass, dick, whatever the word you'd pick," James added. Lily once again remained silent. She made no acknowledgement that she even heard him. "Um, Lils?" James asked again. Lily sighed and put her paper down to look at him.

"What do you want me to say, James?" Lily asked. She sounded as tired as he felt. 

"Anything? That you're still mad at me, that you forgive me, anything. Just talk to me," James put his hand on top of hers. She looked down at their hands touching and pressed her lips together tightly.

"Why should I tell you how I'm feeling when all you do is ignore it and do the opposite?" Lily asked quietly and pulled her hand back to her body. "I'm not saying you can't date people but, do you really want to? You're hurting so many people and that's just not like you. I'm worried about you to be honest. I'm not going to forgive you for Katie like I forgave you with Emily. I'll move past it eventually, but it really hurts," Lily kept her voice quiet and calm so people wouldn't eavesdrop. "I honestly don't know where Katie even came from. I thought we were getting back together and then you're asking out another girl? It blind-sided me and really hurt me. I'm fine now but... You've been acting so weird since this summer," This time it was James's turn not to respond. Lily nodded slowly and put her stuff in her bag to leave. 

"I'm sorry," James's voice was low. When he looked at Lily, his eyes were full of guilt and remorse. She knew that he was beating himself up more than anyone else ever could.

"I know," she nodded. "Next time, instead of bottling up how you're feeling and acting out and breaking hearts, try just talking to someone?" Lily gave a small smile and he nodded. She stood up and reached over James. She put a croissant and bacon on his plate quickly. "Eat something, yeah?" She asked and James nodded. Lily smiled and kissed his cheek.

"I take it you're over me," James said suddenly as she was walking away to head to class. Lily stopped in her tracks. A couple people passed her in both directions before she looked back to see James staring at his plate. 

"Even if I wasn't, you're not ready for another relationship, Potter," Lily smiled sadly and walked away before he could respond. 

After arithmacy, Lily headed to the dungeons with Marlene. Sirius met them halfway and took both of the girls arms in his. 

"I could never play favorites," Sirius spoke with a heavy sarcasm and winked at Lily. 

"Says the player," Marlene rolled her eyes but had a smile. Sirius unlinked their arms to face Marlene while walking.