Chapter 14

Despite it being so late, Lily had never felt so awake. 

"Who did it?" Sirius asked as everyone sat down on James's bed while he sat up.

"Dunno," James shrugged and looked at his arm which was now fine. It was as if nothing had happened. "I don't remember anything. I went to go see what a noise was but not as... you know-"

"We told Lily," Sirius interrupted James who raised his eyebrows a little.

"So my party trick is destroyed?" He asked and Lily smiled a little. "Only joking. But I went down as my gorgeous self and next thing I knew I was looking at the ceiling and bleeding. I vaguely remember coming back here and that's it," James shrugged. "Part of me-" He was cut off in the middle of the sentence by the dormitory door flying open.

"Mr. Potter," Professor Mcgonagall was standing in the doorway in her night robes. Her glasses balanced perfectly on the tip of her nose and her hair that was normally in a rigid bun hung down to her waist.

"Miss me so much you couldn't wait until morning?" James grinned and tilted his head with his eyes innocently wide. Lily smiled, nothing had changed. 

"My apologies Miss Evans, I thought I was in the boys dormitory," Professor McGonagall said sternly and Lily went bright red. 

"Right. Sorry Professor," Lily quickly stood up and headed towards the door. She glanced back one last time at the boys. James winked at her which made her blush a little more before she quickly returned to the girls dormitory. 

"Well?" Marlene asked impatiently as the door shut.

"Nothing important," Lily shrugged and Marlene mumbled something about idiotic boys before turning over and falling asleep immediately. Lily got into bed but no longer felt tired. Who did James think had cursed him? She asked herself a million questions but must have fallen asleep at some point because she was being shaken awake vigorously by Marlene. She barely comprehended what Marlene was yelling before Marlene stormed off. 

"Class?" she asked herself before her eyes went wide. Lily jumped out of bed and quickly pulled on her robes before rushing after Marlene to Potions. Lily managed to slip in at last minute before the bell and saw the only seat left was next to the one and only Severus Snape. Lily groaned a little inwardly before throwing her stuff on the floor a little harder than she meant to as she sat down on the stool.

"Who are you and what have you done with my girlfriend? She would never oversleep and miss a class," The familiar voice made the hairs raise on the back of her neck and a smile crept across her face. 

"I was only almost late so," she turned around to see a cocky James Potter leaning from the table behind her. "Don't know if you heard, but someone rudely woke everyone up at three am this morning with quite a rucous," Lily smiled back and bit her bottom lip. 

"Really? Padfoot?" James turned to his best friend who shrugged.

"I haven't heard anything of the kind," Sirius smiled into his cauldron and Lily rolled her eyes. She turned back to her table to listen to Professor Slughorn when James leaned back in.

"You know, to no fault of my own, I seem to be severely under prepared for final exams this semester," James put his hand out to steady himself the table as he lifted two legs from his stool up so he could reach Lily. 

"Is that so?" Lily asked while writing down some notes from the board. "Maybe it's because you spend all class flirting with your boyfriend over there instead of paying attention," she smirked and James almost fell off his stool.

"As I was saying, maybe you could help me study tonight? Common room?" James recovered himself as Sirius snorted. A smile covered his face again and Lily looked at him.

"If you keep doing that, you're going to split your head open," she poked him in the bicep and he pouted a little. "Yes, I'll help you," she smiled and shook her head a little.

"Quiet over there," Professor Slughorn called and James went back to his own table. Lily ignored Severus's scoff and continued to write her notes. About five minutes later a note landed on her table. She turned to look back at James who pretended to be very interested in Remus's notes. He glanced up and winked at her before going back to Remus's notes. Lily opened it up to see a little drawing of herself and James studying and he leaned in to kiss her. Lily smiled and shook her head a little. She wrote on the back of it In your dreams, Potter ;) before passing it back to him. 

"Could you do that anywhere else," Severus mumbled and Lily bit her lips to avoid saying something that she would regret.

"Oh we will," James whispered in both their ears and kissed Lily on the cheek longer than he needed to, to prove a point. Severus had gone bright red and Lily pretended to focus on Slughorn again and not focus on what exchange had just occurred. As the bell rang, Lily threw her stuff back into her bag and quickly walked over to the marauders who were all arguing about something in hushed voices. 

"What's up?" Lily asked and the four fell silent. James turned to her with a grin. 

"Nothing, Lily-Flower," he pinched her side with the nickname he knew that she hated. "Just some business to take care of. I'll see you tonight?" He asked and pecked her cheek. Before Lily could ask a question the four of them hurried from the dungeons. Marlene walked over with Alice.

"Thanks for saving me a seat," Lily said sarcastically as the three walked out of the dungeons.

"Every man for himself in classes with Slytherins," Marlene said darkly and Lily rolled her eyes a little.

"Hey, what were the boys arguing about?" Alice asked across Marlene to look at Lily as they walked.

"I don't know. But I don't have a good feeling."