Chapter 11

"W-What?" Lily stuttered out.
"Come on," Sirius grabbed Lily's arm and pulled her up. Lily's hand was shaking as she grabbed her wand.
"What happened? How'd you get up here?" Lily asked, wide awake.
"There was an accident," Sirius ran down the stairs, Lily on his heels. There was a thick frost that covered the window that put a chill in the staircase. As the two of them got into the common room, Lily's eyes fell on James. He was slumped over in an oversized chair. James was holding his arm that had three large gashes on them. Lily could see blood bubbling out between his fingers even from far away.
"Merlin," Lily breathed out as they got closer. "Sirius, he needs the hospital wing," Lily dropped to her knees and examined him closer.
"Lily," James finally realized she was there.
"Shhhh," Lily whispered and pressed on his largest wound. She looked at Sirius who looked faint at all the blood.
"It's not that bad," James looked at his arm. "Oh that's a lot of blood," his voice sounded a little higher pitched.
"Oh my lord," Sirius gagged a little as the blood started going down Lily's hand.
"Sirius if you pass out on me," Lily threatened.
"I'm good," Sirius said in a high pitched voice. "You can help... right?" Sirius turned to Lily.
"I don't have any dittany... but... oh Merlin," Lily dropped her wand and put her second hand over the wound. "I know how to muggle stitch but it'll hurt and it won't heal fast at all. At least not until I can get some dittany. If it won't slow down though, I don't even know," Lily put all her weight into James's arm and James groaned loudly.
"Something is better than nothing, isn't it?" Sirius asked anxiously.
"I need a needle, alcohol, and a robe," Lily looked at Sirius.
"Right. Where should I–?"
"You have a wand, do you not?" Lily gritted her teeth.
"Accio," Sirius pointed up to the bedroom.
"Okay I need you to rip off a sleeve or something and tie it around James's arm as tight as possible," Lily watched Sirius's hands shake as he pulled the sleeve tight. Lily then replaced her hands with Sirius's. "If you are going to puke you better do it away from James," Lily warned and Sirius nodded.
"Mhmmm," Sirius was looking at the ceiling.
"I never pegged Sirius Black as afraid of blood," Lily said as she sprayed water out of her wand to wash her hands.
"Funny," Sirius said shortly.
"He's not," James mumbled. He sounded like he had ran a marathon. "He's afraid of me dying."
"Shut it mate," Sirius muttered. Lily rinsed James's wounds first with water and then with some firewhiskey. "Anytime here, Evans," Sirius sounded anxious.
"I know what I'm doing... sort of," Lily added. She did her best to not sound nervous as she unthreaded the robe.
"Sort of?"
"If you have any better ideas I'm all ears," Lily snapped. She set to work on sewing the largest gap. Sirius hovered over Lily's shoulder and was breathing down her neck.
"Does it hurt?" Sirius whispered.
"Absolutely," Lily muttered. James's head lollied from side to side every so often. "I've never seen anything like this. It's like the skin disappeared," Lily whispered. "Remus did this?"
"I don't know," Sirius finally said.
"What do you mean?" Lily turned to Sirius. Sirius hesitated and fell back onto his bottom.
"I told him to make sure no one was coming and he was around Remus but then went to leave and then he wasn't coming back and he was knocked out by the entrance. We don't always realize when Moony scratches us so I figured he just got scratched and didn't realize it until too late," Sirius said and Lily finished up with James and slowly untied the sleeve so that James's blood flow slowly returned.
"How do you not realize when you get scratched?" Lily asked and got a wet cloth to wipe dried blood off of James's arm and face.
"It's... complicated," Sirius hesitated and watched James. "He's sleeping?"
"I hope," Lily mumbled. "Or passed out. So you assume that he got scratched?"
"Well... like you said... it's like the skin just burned off. That's never happened before," Sirius looked at James. The two of them sat in silence.
"We should move him upstairs. People will start to come down soon," Lily whispered and Sirius nodded. "So you really aren't afraid of blood?"
"The pain like no other is losing a brother. James is my brother. It's my fault for not checking sooner. It would have been my fault and that is my worst fear," Sirius said quietly.

The sun rose a couple hours later. Lily finally left James's side, knowing that she had to go to classes. He still hadn't opened his eyes.
"Are you going to stay here?" Lily asked Sirius as she got up. Sirius nodded, he was sitting next to James's bed and laying on his hands. "I'll be back after classes," Lily leaned down and hugged Sirius. "He'll be okay, Sirius. I promise," Lily mumbled and looked at James. He looked so peaceful. His hair was still going every which way and he was still in ripped clothes from the night before. Lily sighed and pushed the negative thoughts from her mind. She wouldn't get upset until there was something to get upset about.
"You're so strong, Evans," Sirius said and Lily squeezed his shoulders in response.
"James is lucky to have you," Lily whispered and left Sirius. She walked out of the portrait hole and rounded a corner. Lily closed her eyes and leaned on the wall. She put a hand over her mouth to stifle something between a sob and a scream. When she opened her eyes, she saw a familiar figure disappear around the corner. Why would a Slytherin be up by Gryffindor Tower? Lily thought to herself and went to follow the familiar figure of Severus Snape.