Chapter 21

On the first day of classes, Lily took a long look in the mirror at herself. This would be the last first day of classes. She smiled before grabbing her book bag and heading down to the Great Hall. The night before she had been up late doing patrols, but she had never felt so awake. Lily sat down next to Marlene who was staring at the toast, longingly.

"Just have a piece of toast, Marley. It won't kill you," Lily rolled her eyes and took one. Marlene scoffed and tore her eyes away from the bread.

"Think about how much weight I'll lose if I cut out bread," Marlene sighed sadly and Lily waved the toast in front of her face.

"Marlene, you seriously need to shut up. You don't need to lose weight," Lily put a piece of toast on Marlene's plate. Marlene looked from Lily to the toast before starting to eat it.

"You're such a bad influence," Marlene shook her head and Lily laughed. McGonagall was moving up the tables to make schedules for everyone. Lily and Marlene watched as excited first years talked together about classes they would have.

"Remember when we were cute and little?" Remus sat down next to the girls and they smiled at him. 

"Well I personally may not be little but I'm pretty cute," Sirius sat opposite of them. "And Wormy is little so together we could be a first year," Sirius ruffled Peter's hair and Peter nervously flattened it. 

"And you and Potter have the emotional maturity of a first year combined," Lily shook her head with a smile as James sat down next to Sirius, across from them. 

"Woah, so hostile," James shook his head sadly but was cut off when McGonagall approached their group. Lily shot James a quick smile to let him know she was only joking and he winked back at her. Marlene got her schedule first, then Lily, followed by Remus, Peter, Sirius, and finally James. 

"Bless we're done by one," Marlene peered over at Lily's schedule and compared. "I can't believe you're still taking herbology," Marlene rolled her eyes and Lily scoffed. 

"Herbology is so useful. Remus is taking it too," Lily said and Remus nodded. 

"Nerds," Sirius coughed. Lily kicked him under the table and he groaned while rubbing his shin. 

"Anyways, we should go swimming in the lake," Marlene grinned and Lily bit her bottom lip, hesitantly. "Come on. Loosen up and have some fun! We deserve this."

"We have done absolutely nothing and you're like 'we deserve this' come on. I'm supposed to be setting a good example," Lily sighed and Marlene groaned while shaking her best friend. 

"Come on come on come on! Please please please pleeeeeease," Marlene began to beg until Lily finally gave in. Marlene grinned and hugged her tightly. The girls said goodbye to the marauders before heading to Alchemy. It was a small class for only seventh years. There were three Slytherin's, four Hufflepuffs, six Ravenclaws, and three Gryffindor's. Lily fell in love with the class after one lesson, but felt a little weird the other Gryffindor (Darian Lee) was staring at her the entire class. Darian was fairly smart but always gave everyone the creeps as he never said much.

He slid Lily a note near the end of class that read: Will you go out with me?

Lily did her best to not look at him as she scribbled a no thank you on the bottom and slid it back to him. Marlene was silently shaking next to Lily from laughing. That wasn't the only time someone stared at Lily throughout the day. It seemed like every class there was at least one boy that was staring at her the majority of the lesson and was starting to make her uncomfortable. She was thankful when classes were done and she sat with Marlene in the Great Hall again.