Chapter 8

After leaving McGonagall's office, James and Lily headed back to the Gryffindor Common Room. The other boys had already left and gone up to their room as the sun had set.
"Wait here," Lily told James and he sat down next to the fire. Lily ran up to her room and grabbed a small face towel. She used her wand to make it wet before heading back down to the stairs. She sat in front of James and gently pressed the cold cloth to his swollen lip. He winced a little. "Thank you," Lily said quietly after a minute.
"Anytime," James attempted a small smile. "You look tired. You should go to bed," James took the washcloth from her grip. He stood up and brought Lily to her feet too. "I would kiss you goodnight, but," James said quietly and Lily smiled.
"Such the gentleman," she laughed a little and James looked at his feet while smiling. Lily stood on her tiptoes and quickly kissed his cheek. He grinned goofily and hugged her tightly.
"I'll see you tomorrow," James whispered in her ear and Lily nodded.

All night Lily tossed and turned. She kept having dreams of James and Severus. There was quidditch and then they were on a cliff. Lily checked the time and saw midnight, 2 am, 3:30, 4, 7, and she finally got up at 8 am.
She rubbed the tired from her eyes and let her hair down from the bun it was in. Her hair kinked and curled. Lily put on a Gryffindor sweater and grabbed her winter cloak and scarf.
She went down to breakfast and saw the boys already sitting together. Lily sat down next to James and placed her cloak next to her.
"Your lip looks much better," Lily told James who smiled nodding. "You ready?"
"Always," James nodded confidentially. A couple Gryffindors wishes James luck as they walked past.
"Eat something," Sirius nudged James who shook his head.
"I may be ready but that doesn't mean I'm not a little nervous," James admitted. "I'll eat after."
Marlene came down a couple minutes later and sat down next to Lily. Lily filled Marlene on their adventure from yesterday as she started eating.
"I'm going to murder him," Marlene said angrily.
"Prongs did pretty well actually," Sirius leaned over and talked through a mouth full of food.
"You say that as if I'm not amazing," James scoffed, pretending to be hurt and Sirius grinned. "Okay I've got to go," James said noticing the rest of the team getting up.
"Good luck, you'll do great," Lily told him as he got up and James smiled.
"Now I will," James put his hand on her shoulder to squeeze gently and waved to the rest of them.

The three boys, Marlene, and Lily got to the stands just in time.
"At least it's not snowing," Remus said as Marlene chattered.
"Look they're coming out," Lily pulled her coat tighter. The two captains shook hands and everyone mounted brooms.
"And they're off. Potter takes the Quaffle- nice dodge of a bludger from Slytherin's Purcey- and he passes to Revees who passes it right back. He shoots and SCORES!!" Adriana Grey was the announcer for the game. "Gryffindor leads, 10-0."
Lily clapped and cheered with the rest of Gryffindor. Slytherin quickly took the lead 30-10. The next time James had the quaffle a Slytherin charged him, causing him to drop it. He spun on his broom and everyone gasped. He came back steady and Gryffindor was awarded a penalty.
The Gryffindor beaters charged both bludgers back to Adrian Thamis, who had charged James, which earned Slytherin a penalty as he was no where near the Quaffle.
The score was 40-20. Tensions were high on the field. The game was getting dirtier the longer it lasted. Lily could no longer feel her toes or fingertips in the stands.
"Could they find the bloody snitch already," Sirius growled while rubbing his hands together.
"No kidding," Lily mumbled as James narrowly avoided a bludger again.
James had made a fair amount of the Gryffindor scores, but Slytherin was still leading 90-50. Just then the seekers both dived at the ground. Everyone else on the pitch forgot what they were supposed to be doing. James held the Quaffle while hovering mid-air. Everyone was screaming in excitement.
"Get it get it get it," Marlene was bouncing up and down. The Gryffindor seeker held up his arm triumphantly.
"GRYFFINDOR WINS! 200-90–" Adriana was cut off by the loud cheering. Lily and Marlene hugged laughing. Everyone was running down to the field cheering.
"Let's go," Sirius grabbed Marlene's hand who grabbed Lily's. They fought their way to the middle of the crowd and found James who was being hugged by everyone.
"Yeah Prongs!" Sirius flapped James's back.
"You were amazing!" Lily yelled over the crowd and James grinned. He placed his hand on her cheek and kissed her. His other hand grabbed her hip and pulled her closer to him. Lily was caught off guard but eventually put her arms around James's neck. She smiled into the kiss as she heard Marlene and Sirius screaming nonsense.
Up in the stands, where the students couldn't see from the ground, Professor Dumbledore held his hand out to Professor McGonagall who scoffed. She put two galleons in his hand and folded her arms as Lily and James parted on the field.
James pulled away from Lily, still smiling.
"Sorry," he said not apologetic at all. Lily laughed a little and hugged him. Slowly everyone left the field and James walked hand in hand with Lily to the changing rooms. He peaked in to make sure no one was in before bringing Lily in. Lily sighed as the flood of warmth hit her. "I'm just going to take a quick shower," James said grabbing a towel.
"Where should I go?" Lily asked looking around.
"You can stay, just look the other way," James kissed her cheek and lingered by her ear. "Or don't," he whispered and Lily smacked him. "Joking," he laughed and kissed her again.