Chapter 16

Lily opened the door and sat down in the back next to Marlene and Alice. She gave both of them a piece of toast she brought with her and they thankfully took it. The Slytherins were all sitting near the front corner conversing.

"Did you see James?" Marlene asked and Lily nodded. "Well?"

"Do I speak a foreign language? I said that I would focus on exams today," Lily snapped harshly and Marlene put her hands up. Lily slouched over to doodle on her paper while they waited for the class to start. She heard the marauders sit down in front of them as Marlene made some joke about Sirius's ass.

"What's that?" Lily heard Sirius asked and he grabbed the paper she was doodling on.

"God damnit, Black," Lily snapped and grabbed the paper back.

"Sheesh," Sirius put his hands up in a similar way that Marlene had done earlier. Lily shoved the paper into her bag and noticed everyone staring at her.

"I'm fine," she rolled her eyes and rested her head on her hands. "Just tired," she mumbled and looked at the floor.

"We were talking about going to the Three Broomsticks tonight to celebrate, do you want to come?" Remus asked gently.

"Pleeeeease," Marlene smiled and leaned onto Lily's shoulder. Lily smiled and closed her eyes, agreeing. The written portion of the test was easy. After it was collected, they all had to prove they could do a couple spells and they could leave before the end of the period.

"Ugh, I'm going to go, I just want to be done," Lily finally said after watching Marlene practice several times.

"Don't leave me," she whined and pouted as Lily walked to the front. Professor Hawthorne smiled and motioned to the vase on his desk, indicating Lily could begin.

"Reducto," Lily pointed her wand at the vase which crumbled into sand.

"Very well done. And your patronus?" He asked after writing down a score next to her written test. "You'll get two tries," he said and Lily closed her eyes. She thought about being home with her parents at Christmas. The warmth of the hot coco and the laughs that filled the air.

"Expecto patronum," Lily said clearly and opened her eyes to see only a light whisp. She narrowed her eyes in a confused way. That memory had worked for her just the week previous.

"Something a little stronger, dear," Hawthorne smiled at Lily and she nodded. She racked her brain for anything and one memory came to the top that wouldn't go away. It was laying in bed with James that night he asked her out. How warm she felt and safe in his grip and how peaceful everything felt.

"Expecto patronum," Lily said again and this time, the beautiful doe shot out of her wand. It stood next to her and stared at Professor Hawthorne. She heard some commotion near the back of the class but ignored it. Hawthorne told her she could go and she smiled. Lily walked back to her seat and started to pack up her things.

"Please wait until I'm done," Marlene begged Lily.

"Fine, but get going," Lily sighed and Marlene nodded, heading up to the small line that had formed.

"Your patronus is a doe," Sirius leaned onto the desk and she saw James kick him.

"Yes?" Lily narrowed her eyes a little bit. "Why?" She asked Sirius who was about to open his mouth but James yanked him back so hard he fell off his chair and straight onto his ass.

"Nothing," James forced a smile and left Sirius to fend for himself. Lily gave them both an odd look but moved on to see how Marlene was doing. Snape was in line right before her. Lily watched him do the reducto spell and then cast his patronus. She felt herself go beet red and all eyes turn to her as a doe emerged from his wand. Sirius's mouth dropped open. Lily grabbed her bag from the floor and left the class as fast as she could. She didn't want to be found so she headed to the dungeons and into the potions room. Professor Slughorn was writing pairs on the board.

"Ah, Lily, done already?" He turned to see who entered the class.

"Of course," Lily smiled a little and approached the board. She saw her name next to James's and bit her bottom lip.

"Care to go get ingredients out for me?" Slughorn asked and Lily nodded. She took off her robe and placed it on a chair before going to the cupboard. Lily didn't mind helping Slughorn, it took her mind of what happened in Defense Against the Dark Arts. She kept thinking about what Sirius was going to tell her if James didn't stop him. Soon enough, students started pouring into the dungeons.

"Are you okay?" Marlene quickly approached Lily at the back of the classroom.

"What the hell was that?" Lily shook her head a little and crossed her arms. "I mean," she shivered and didn't finish the sentence. "At least I don't have to deal with him all of break," Lily whispered to Marlene who nodded.

"It's like he's obsessed with you," Alice had joined the two of them which made Lily shiver again.

"I feel kinda bad for him," Lily shifted her weight to her other foot but couldn't continue as Slughorn called for everyone to sit down.

"You're okay?" James asked as Lily sat down next to him and she nodded.

"Yeah," she smiled at him a little, the first sign of forgiveness.