Chapter 37

Christmas break arrived all too fast for Lily's liking. While she was happy to spend it with Sirius and James, she couldn't help but feeling guilty for not being with her mum and dad.

"Lily Evans, what are you doing up so early?" James reached up to stretch as he stifled a yawn. Lily could see out of the corner of her eye that his shirt lifted up to reveal the bottom of his stomach. She kept her eyes firmly planted on the bowl in front of her and started stirring.

"Lily and Evans in the same calling? What am I in trouble?" Lily asked, sarcastically.

"I've called you Lily and Evans at the same time before," James walked behind her. "Cookies?" Stuck his finger into the batter, earning himself a slap on the hand from Lily.

"Merlin, James," Lily sighed, looking at the hole in her batter.

"What," he laughed and she turned around.

"You stuck your filthy hand in my batter," Lily smacked his arm.

"It'll bake and be fine," James grinned and rolled his eyes. His hand was rested on the counter behind Lily so they were close. Not wanting to entice him, Lily rolled her eyes and turned around. As if on cue, Sirius walked into the kitchen. James walked over to the fridge and grabbed out some pumpkin juice.

"Cookies?" Sirius peered over Lily's shoulder and did exactly what James did. Lily rolled her eyes but didn't say anything.

"Stupid," James mumbled under his breath as he sat down at the kitchen table. Lily hummed Carol of the Bells under her breath and began to roll the batter into balls.

"So you can touch it and Sirius can but I can't?" James huffed and folded his arms.

"My hands are washed," Lily smiled and went back to humming a little louder.

"What about Sirius?" James asked. Sirius washed his hands and then began to help Lily rolling the balls, humming a harmony with her. James's mother entered the kitchen and looked from Sirius and Lily, dancing while rolling cookie dough and humming, to her son who was sitting with his arms crossed, pouting.

"Someone's in a mood," Euphemia looked at Lily amused and the two of them shared a little laugh. "These smell delicious," she looked over at Lily's cookies sitting on the tray. "Great job rolling, Sirius," she ruffled Sirius's head.

"Poor baby," Lily shot a grin at James and he rolled his eyes. Euphemia kissed James's head before leaving the kitchen.

"What's wrong, James?" Lily sighed as she put the cookies into the oven.

"I eat the dough and I get yelled at but then he does and you say nothing? Are you serious?" James stood up and leaned against the counter. Lily had the opportunity. She had to take it. She looked dead into James Potter's eyes. She had been waiting for years for this moment.

"No. That's Sirius, I'm Lily," she whispered in a deadly tone. Sirius screamed next to her pointing at James.

"SHE GOT YOU! SHE BLOODY GOT YOU!" Sirius was jumping up and down. James had sucked in his lips. He looked to the ground, defeated, as Lily and Sirius cackled and high fives. James sighed, shaking his head with a smile. He left the room, defeated.

"I got him," Lily grinned and Sirius fell into a fit of laughter once again.

James and Sirius decided to go out shopping last minute (per usual) leaving Lily left behind for the day. Lily stayed in her flannel pajama pants and sweater, hair tied up with her wand sticking through it. Lily was searching for a book, or really anything to do.

As she walked upstairs, James's door creaked open. Lily saw it and sighed. She knew she shouldn't do it. She had no business going in there. What would be in there?

Actually, what would be in there?

Lily called throughout the house quickly to make sure no one was around before walking into the room. It had been redecorated since the last time she had glanced in over summer. Lily wandered over to James's bedside table. She saw a bunch of notes stuffed in a drawer. She flipped through them. They were mixes of dreams he had written down and random lists that Lily didn't understand.

She continued to his bookshelf and opened a book. She was surprised to see there were notes scribbled in all the margins. Some were his thoughts on the text, some were questions even Lily couldn't think of, and some were algorithms.

James Potter was a total and complete nerd.

"What are you looking for?" Lily dropped the book she was holding. She turned around and saw James leaning on the door frame.

"Something to read," Lily quickly picked up the book. "I saw your notes, they're... profound," Lily opened the book back up. James strolled over and flipped through the pages, shrugging. James then shut the book and pulled out a different one, handing it to Lily.

"Happy Christmas," he smiled a little and shoved his hands in his pockets. Lily opened up the cover. It had For Lily written in James's messy writing at the top.

"Thank you," Lily smiled. She moved over to his desk. She smiled at the photo of her and James from last year. She paused at the door and looked back. He was watching the photo of them.

"Remember when we were in love?" Lily spoke softly.

"I still am," James replied, still looking at the photo. "I've never stopped."

"Then do something about it," Lily whispered. She waited a moment before closing the door behind her and going to her room.