Chapter 25

Lily let the door to The Three Broomsticks slam shut behind her. She folded her arms to protect herself from the wind on the walk back. Tears stung her eyes that she ignored. It was hard to see through the blurry vision, so she almost walked straight past Marlene and Alice.

"Lily?" Marlene had to grab Lily as she almost plowed past the two girls. "Lily? What happened?" Marlene asked when she caught sight of Lily.

"Potter happened," Lily could barely see Marlene with the tears clouding her vision. "He ruined everything," she wiped her eyes with her palm. Marlene lead Lily back to the castle with Alice. They went into a broom cupboard for some privacy. Lily sat down on a stool while Alice and Marlene stood. "He just came in like he owned the place and made Zackery uncomfortable by kept talking on and on about us dating and how he knew all this stuff about me until Zackery left! And Katie was sitting right there! He asked her out! Then he had the audacity to say that I'm the one who moved on first. Me?! I wanted to get back together and he asked out that- that-" Lily couldn't think of a word to describe Katie and she burst out in tears of frustration. Alice sat next to Lily and rubbed her back.

"He's making such a big mistake," Marlene rubbed Lily's arm as she sat down in front of the other two. "He's probably just realizing it."

"I don't want to date that jerk anymore," Lily shook her head. When Marlene looked doubtful, Lily sighed. "I don't care if he's over me or not. He shouldn't have treated Katie like that. No respect," Lily said. Marlene looked at Alice and she shrugged.

"Boys do stupid things sometimes," Marlene tried to say delicately.

"Please. You didn't talk to Black for months after that day at the beach. Being mad for a week is one thing but straight up months," Lily rolled her eyes and Marlene didn't say anything. Once Lily started to calm down, she sighed. "I'm sorry."

"No. You're right," Marlene nodded. "I'm a petty girl," she said and they all laughed. "But you can't be mad at him forever. You're soul-"

"If someone else says we're soulmates again I'm going to lose it," Lily cut off Marlene. "There's different kinds of soulmates. It doesn't mean love," she snapped. Marlene didn't say anything. Lily looked at her knees while Alice tried to speak to Marlene through her eyes. Before anyone else could say anything, the door opened. James stood there with Katie clinging onto his side. It seemed that she didn't care what happened in The Three Broomsticks.

"Oh, sorry," James went to quickly shut the door but Lily stood up. She stormed past him, bumping into him forcefully. She ignored Marlene and Alice calling after her and took a couple random turns. She felt anger coursing through her veins. Lily stopped when she heard a noise next to her. She slowly turned her head and saw a door where she swore had just been a normal wall. Lily looked around before slowly walking into the room. It was a small room with a fire and big bean bag chair. Lily closed the door and walked over. She thought about how nice it was be if there was a blanket and almost as if the room could hear her thoughts, a blanket appeared next to the bean bag. Lily picked it up and sat down in the beanbag. She watched the fire crackle and dance around. Lily finally felt herself starting to relax and let her mind run freely. She closed her eyes and, to her frustration, dreamed of James Potter. She dreamed in memories of all the good, and all the bad.

"Moony," James Potter knocked on the dormitory door quietly before walking in. After seeing Lily, Katie got a little upset again and wanted to go hang out with her friends. He ruined two relationships within ten minutes.

"Yeah," Remus looked up. He was laying on his bed, reading a book.

"I... I messed up. Really bad," James sat down on the bed and put his head in his hands, recounting everything that happened. "And then she said 'whatever helps you sleep at night' like I was the one to move on first. She broke up with me," James rolled his eyes a little.

"Oh my god. You're so wrong," Remus shook his head in amazement at the stupidity. "You messed up, mate. Real bad. You'd be lucky if she ever talks to you again. Katie too for that matter. Lily was ready to get back together and you went and decided to date someone else. It's not her fault some guys are trying to date her. Have you not seen her shut them all down because she liked you?" Remus shook his head and stood up. James didn't say anything but fell back on the bed, covering his face with a pillow.

"Can you go check on her?" James asked through the pillow.

"Where'd she go?" Remus asked. James threw the map at him from his dresser.

"She's not on there, I already checked," James leaned up on his elbows. Remus muttered something about James being thick. "I'm sorry, okay," James blurted out and sat up.

"I'm not the one you need to apologize too. I get that you're frustrated that she broke up with you but build a bridge, and get over it. She's hurting too," Remus put a hand on James's shoulder and sighed. "If you're happy with Katie, then I'm happy for you. But... you're not," Remus tosses the map back to James after mumbling Mischief Managed. James paced the room a few times before punching a hole in the wall.

Lily's eyes flew open when she heard a knock on the wall.

"Lily? Are you in there?" The familiar voice of Remus Lupin came from the door. Lily got up and went over to the door. She opened it and Remus pulled her into a gentle hug.

"Remus," Lily said surprised and hugged him back.

"Are you okay?" He asked and Lily sighed. She let him into the room and closed the door behind him. They sat together in the bean bag chair. Lily told him everything and Remus listened, patiently.

"How'd you know I was in here?" Lily asked as they watched the fire. Remus hesitated and glanced at her.

"James told me. Truth be told, I kind of lost my temper on him," Remus spoke, ashamed of himself. "I feel bad. He's always been there for me but..." Remus trailed off. "And I know he's upset with himself. I'll have to make it up to him," Remus said and Lily nodded. She took Remus's hand and squeezed it.

"I'm sure you guys will be fine," she reassured Remus and he nodded. They sat there together, occasionally talking but mostly just watching the fire together. It was calming to just be together and let everything out the two had been holding in.

"Thank you for being my friend, Lily," Remus looked at her and Lily smiled.

"Thank you, Remus," she kissed his cheek and laid her head on his shoulder. She wasn't quite ready to go back and face her life again.