Chapter 31

James and Lily had been working together twice a week at night. Then two other nights they patrol together. That meant a whole lot of time James was spending with Lily and not Katie. Add on Quidditch once a week and homework, which meant Katie was barely seeing James. She would try and hang out with him whenever he was free but that would only drive him away. She tried to be the lax and chill girlfriend, but he didn't seem to care then either.

"Ready?" James asked Lily as soon as she sat down at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall for dinner one night.

"Um. No?" Lily looked confused as she put food onto her dinner plate. Lily could tell right away that Katie was the instigator for James being impatient. "Can I have like five minutes?" She asked hesitantly.

"Yeah of course. No rush. I'll just be... getting ready," James nodded and got up. He left the great hall, leaving Lily and Katie awkwardly sitting together.

"So how's the practicing going?" Katie asked while taking a dinner roll.

"Erm. Pretty well," Lily lied. The truth was, she had mastered the spell after one 'lesson' with James. She had been faking needing help with other things so they could continue hanging out. It wasn't to keep Katie and James apart, or so she told herself.

"You guys sure are working hard," Katie spoke casually. Lily nodded in response.

"Yeah. NEWT's this year and everything. We've just started reviewing everything," Lily pushed the food around on her plate. Before Katie could question her anymore, a couple friends went up to her. This gave Lily the chance to sneak away.

Lily gladly walked to the classroom on the second floor they had decided to use. The door was propped open a couple of inches and Lily quietly walked in. James's back was to her and there was a stack of parchment. He was levitating a piece lazily. Suddenly he shot it on the floor and jabbed his wand at it multiple times. It caught on fire that grew with each jab until it exploded in a ball of ash and flame.

"Wow. What'd that parchment ever do to you?" Lily tried to joke as she shut the door behind her. James smiled weakly. He waved his wand and the mess cleared. "Are you okay?" Lily asked as she put her bag down. James tried to play it off with a goofy grin and a ruffle of Lily's hair.

"Of course Lily-kins," he winked. Lily looked at him doubtful.

"I can tell you're lying, Potter," Lily narrowed her eyes. "But if you don't want to talk to me about it, promise me you'll talk to someone about it. Sirius? Remus? Peter? Katie?" Lily suggested and James nodded.

"Promise," he said.

"Pinky promise?" Lily smiled and held up her pinky.

"What?" James laughed, confused.

"It's a muggle thing. A special promise," Lily took her other hand and put his hand up. She intertwined her pinky with his.

"What's special about it?" James asked, curiously. Lily motioned for him to come closer so she could whisper in his ear.

"Your pinky will fall off," Lily whispered and James pulled away, horrified.

"What kind of magic is that?!" He let the shock drop from his face when Lily started laughing. "Oh haha. You're soooo funny, Evans," James rolled his eyes as Lily continued to cackle.

"Thank you," Lily grinned. She pulled her wand from her robe pocket before shrugging it off. She draped the robe across a chair before putting her hair up and rolling her sleeves of the sweater she was wearing up.

"What do you want to do today?" James asked and followed suit with his robe. They worked for an hour or so before Lily collapsed in a chair.

"I'm tired," she sighed. James grabbed her hand and tried to pull her up but she just groaned.

"Come on, one more," James said and Lily gave in. She stood back up and faced him. She attempted to do what James had done earlier, before he started angrily jabbing at the paper. Lily lifted the paper off the stack and tried to start a slow and controlled burn, but it smoked before falling back to the floor. She felt James's hands on her arms.

"Here," James lowered her shoulders she didn't realize were raised. He used his feet and kicked her into a slightly wider stance. He took his hand and ran it down her arm, to her elbow. Lily watched as he pressed into her elbow to give it a slight bend. She looked at him and tried to ignore all the feelings that bubbled up.

She had almost forgotten about the golden specks near the iris of his eye. How he had one little dark spot in the white of his right eye, it was almost covered by his top eyelid. Before she could clear her throat and look away, the door opened. James dropped his hand to his side and they both looked over to the door. Katie stood in the doorframe.

"Wow," she scoffed and shook her head.

"No, Katie," James stepped away from Lily.

"James you assured me nothing was going on because I didn't want to get in the middle of whatever is happening with you two. Especially after the three broomsticks. I gave you an out," she shook her head sadly.

"No, Katie, it's-" Lily started to explain but Katie held up her hand to silence her.

"Just..." she shook her head again. "Lily, I really thought you wouldn't go after someone who was with someone else," she looked at Lily sadly. Lily felt her heart break.

"Nothing is going on," James almost pleaded. Katie turned to leave and Lily felt horrible. She never intended on actively keeping them apart. She had also never seen James plead like that with someone. It made her wonder if she was holding something against James.

"Katie! Wait!" Lily went to chase after her. Katie had stopped outside of the classroom and Lily was caught off guard as Katie full on slapped her across the cheek. Lily put a hand to her face.

"So it's all nice while James is around?" Lily looked at Katie coldly. Katie shrugged and turned to walk away before James came out of the classroom.

"What-?" James looked from Katie who was walking away, and then to Lily who stood holding her cheek. "Are you-?"

"Just go," Lily shook her head and motioned to Katie. James hesitated for a moment. He brushed a thumb across Lily's cheek and then ran after Katie.

A/N: tonight we just got 4K reads which is INSANE!!! Thank you everyone reading and I hope you're enjoying :). There's 43 chapters total in this story so we're almost done! That said, I probably won't be uploading for the next week or so as I move and get settled. I hope you all understand. And I WILL be getting back to this ASAP!! Lots of love to you all💚