Chapter 30

Lily woke up the next morning, still on the sofa. She ran through everything that had happened the night before and was having a hard time believing it. Slowly, she made her way back up to her dorm to get ready for the day. The cold spread from her feet and up her body which reminded her that her shoes were left down by the lake. Assuming they were long gone by now, Lily grabbed a new pair of shoes out along with her uniform.

Lily kept trying to remember what rescued her as she got dressed. She was fairly convinced someone had carried her back to the castle, but didn't know who. She sprayed her perfume and jumped when Marlene grabbed her sides.

"Didn't hear you come back last night," Marlene leaned against the bed frame while looking at her best friend. 

"Yeah... I ended up crashing on the sofa," Lily hesitated. She was pretty sure that Marlene would call her crazy if she told her everything that had happened last night. Maybe it was better to tell her along with Sirius and Remus at the same time. 

"Come on," Marlene grabbed Lily's arm and dragged her down through the common room and towards the great hall as soon as Lily had picked up her book bag. 

"Merlin," Lily shook her head with a small smile playing at her lips. Marlene found the boys and sped up to walk towards them. Lily had been pulled into a little jog to keep up.

"Hey," Marlene sat down next to Sirius. She left no room between their legs. Lily sat down next to Peter, across from Remus and James. 

"So this is back on again?" Lily asked Sirius and Marlene while helping herself to some toast and jam.

"This isn't anything," Marlene rolled her eyes but had a smile on her lips.

"Mhm," Lily shook her head and smiled at Peter. Peter smiled and looked at his lap. "Here, Remus," Lily pulled a chocolate frog out of her bag and handed it to Remus. He mumbled a thanks without meeting her eye and took a bite. He was looking unusually pale and queasy. 

"How was your evening, Evans?" Sirius asked while grabbing a croissant.

"Yeah you're not telling me something," Marlene leaned across Sirius. Lily chewed her bottom lip while carefully thinking about what to say.

"I went down by the lake," Lily shrugged and stifled a yawn. "Took a quick dip, almost got mauled by some animal-" Lily spoke casually and as she finished both Peter and Remus choked on their food and drink. 

"What?" Marlene asked shocked.

"Something just came out of the forest and was staring me down. I think it was some type of werewolf but I honestly don't know. Everything is sorta fuzzy," Lily said uncomfortably. "And then there was a deer? I don't know, I'm just confusing myself," Lily shook her head. She was saved from further questions as Katie came down the table. Lily hadn't noticed James staring at the ceiling as she was talking.

"Well thank god you're okay," Marlene looked at Lily in amazement. "How'd you get back?"

"I don't know. I sort of remember someone carrying me," Lily furrowed her brows. James's leg began to tap up and down as it did when he got nervous and Katie noticed. He quickly stopped and cleared his throat.

"What class is first again?" James tried to change the subject.

"I lost my favorite shoes though," Lily ignored James's attempt to change the topic of conversation.

"Not the ones with sunflowers," Sirius asked dramatically which earned him a smack on both sides from Marlene and Lily.

"Yes my sunflower shoes," Lily answered after Sirius mumbled an ouch. 

"What happened?" Katie asked confused. 

"Lily thinks she was almost attacked by something last night and someone saved her from doing something incredibly stupid," James spoke while still staring at the ceiling. "Seriously, why were you down at the lake so late?" James looked at Lily. She felt a little shame rise within her and James's face softened. "I'm sorry. I'm just surprised you would do something like that," his voice was softer and reminded Lily of the other night the week previous on the sofas when she was upset about Petunia. She nodded and looked back at her food. 

Everyone was oblivious to Katie who was looking between James and Lily. Now that James and Lily were slowly getting closer again, she was starting to not like they were friends. Especially after everything that happened in the beginning of their relationship. If she had only known what had happened a week or so ago.

"We should get going," Marlene sighed and stood up, pulling Sirius with her. 

"What? Need a quick make-out before class?" Lily joked and when neither of them responded, James, Peter, and Remus burst out laughing.

"Don't hate," Sirius yelled back as he pulled her away. Peter mumbled something about finishing homework and dashed out soon after them. Katie's friends came and whisked her away and then Remus left to go get medicine before class.

"And then there were two," Lily joked. James smiled weakly and pushed the food around on his plate. There was an awkward silence before James got up to leave. "Hey, James?" Lily asked, quietly. James stopped and looked back at Lily. "Do you think you could... help me with transfiguration?" Lily asked quietly. James couldn't hide the surprise that was on his face.

"But... you're great at transfiguration," James spoke in a confused tone. Lily shook her head.

"I'm not terrible because I work really hard at it. You just do it naturally well. Please... I'm really struggling with this spell we're learning," Lily asked and James nodded.

"Yeah, of course. Erm, after dinner meet me in the classroom on the second floor and we can do patrols after?" He asked and Lily nodded. He smiled at her and walked away. Lily watched him go, unaware of Katie watching Lily who was watching James. 

After a long day of classes, Lily made her way to her dorm to change before dinner. She stopped when she saw a bag on her bed. Lily narrowed her eyes and approached the bed. She removed the tissue and pulled out a box. Lily sat down on the bed, placing the box on her lap. She lifted off the lid and felt a huge smile spread across her face. Her sunflower shoes sat in them, cleaned and bright again. On top of them sat a note.

I hope you don't mind I cleaned them

There was no signature. Lily couldn't be sure who grabbed them, but she had a fairly good idea. 

"Thank you, James," she smiled and pulled them on.