Chapter 7

"Close your eyes," James whispered quickly and practically threw Lily off his chest. Lily didn't bother moving from how she landed with one arm off the bed and another across her chest. The door opened all the way and Lily heard James do a quiet shush.
"What the hell, Prongs?" Sirius sighed. "What if we wanted a nap?"
"What happened to the library?" James stood up.
"We got bored," Sirius fell back on his bed. "Did you two talk?" He jerked his head in the direction of Lily.
"Not really," James responded and there was a silence as the four boys exchanged looks.
"Listen, as much as I think you and Evans should be together, tomorrow you need to forget about her. I want to crush Slytherin so Christmas break can feel started," Sirius told James.
"Yeah me too," James said bitterly. Gryffindor Team has lost to Slytherin in the championship for the past 4 years. Although it wasn't the championship yet, it still felt like the game would predict what would happen in the later game.
"Let's get out of here. Let Lily sleep," Remus said and the boys walked out. James looked back one last time at Lily before letting the door close. Lily waited for a couple minutes before getting up and leaving the boys dormitory. She didn't want to stay in the common room anymore so decided to wander around the castle to pass time.
Lily ended up standing in the doorway to the outside and watched some of the first years having a snowball fight. The lake was pretty well frozen over and a couple girls were skating on it. Lily then noticed a group of Slytherins heading over to go inside. She tried to leave before any issues started, but it was too late for that.
"Snape it's your little mudblood friend," A tall Slytherin snickered and elbowed him. It was hard to tell if it was a dig on Lily or Severus. A couple of the people in the group laughed with their leader.
"No that's not right," another one said. "Snape isn't thick enough to be friends with a mudblood."
Lily rolled her and turned to walk away but bumped into a couple more figures.
"Lestrange," Sirius's lip curled and the tall one smiled broadly.
"Everyone take a look, it's my disgrace of a cousin," He spat at Sirius.
"Tell the mudblood to control her friends," someone told Snape who laughed.
"What'd you call her?" Both James and Sirius rounded onto Snape and the smaller Slytherin.
"Come on, Snape," Lestrange hit his arm.
"Just get out of our way," Snape shook his greasy hair and Lily scoffed a little before starting to turn she heard him utter another word. "Mudblood."
Lily felt rage boil through her body and she rounded on Snape and before she realized it Snape was knocked back into another Slytherin with blood streaming from his nose. Lily's fist was raised in the air. He got back up as Lestrange went after Lily but Sirius jumped on him and started hitting him. While Lily watched, another Slytherin took out his wand and pointed it at her. James yanked her out of the way just in time and had his wand pointed at the small Slytherin. Snape knocked the Slytherin out of the way and took his place.
"Don't you ever talk to her," James spat and kept Lily behind him.
"Don't tell me you're with him now," Snape shook his head and his eyes almost looked sad as they looked over at her.
"I said don't talk to her," James snarled and shot a spell at Snape. Snape deflected it but wasn't so lucky with the next one. Boils started popping all over his skin and he groaned in pain.
Professor McGonagall dropped all her books as she rounded the corner and saw Peter wrestling the small Slytherin, Rodolphus Lestrange was on top of Sirius, Snape with boils and blood still flowing freely from his nose, and Remus trying to pull Rodolphus off Sirius.
"Black! Potter!" She exclaimed and everyone froze except for one Slytherin who got in a punch to James's jaw last second. McGonagall was at a loss for words. "Never- you just- and-" she sputtered out. "Gryffindors to my office right now," her nose was flared. "You will wait there while I deliver the Slytherins to Slughorn. And if you think about trying to leave–" she didn't dare finishing her sentence and she pulled Lestrange off Sirius and gathered her books again before heading off to the dungeons with the Slytherins. Remus helped Sirius up and they both pulled Peter to his feet. Lily for the first time looked over at James. He had a fat lip and it was bleeding a little bit from hitting his teeth.
They all walked in silence and let Mcgonagall's door close.
"Is everyone okay?" Remus asked once Sirius sat down.
"I'd be better if Lestrange had looked worse," Sirius said bitterly. He had a minor cut on his forehead but otherwise looked relatively unharmed. He suddenly broke out into a wide grin. "Where'd you learn to punch like that?" He turned to Lily who went a little pink.
"I've never punched anyone. I've never hurt anyone before," Lily said and looked at her hand. Her knuckles ached when she bent her fingers.
"Well am I glad I'm on your side," Sirius chuckled. James touched the small of Lily's back gently.
"Are you okay?" He asked and Lily nodded. It still hurt her that her and Severus had once been so close and now he looked at her like she was a totally different person.
McGonagall walked into the office and dropped her books on a table. The five of them fell silent and she sat down behind her desk, peering at all of them.
"Potter. Care to explain?" She asked folding her hands and James burst into explanation. After he finished she sat in silence.
"Pettigrew, Lupin, wait outside," she finally said. Once they walked out she turned to Sirius and offered him a biscuit. He hesitantly took one. "You need to remember you are not your family and not let them wind your temper up," she said when his mouth was full. "Leave," she told him and he walked out. "Potter, while it is admirable for you standing up for Ms. Evans, you will be serving detention with me tomorrow night," she said and James opened his mouth in protest. "You gave a student boils while the other three did no real damage. It is out of my hands," she said quietly. "Ms. Evans will join you as she technically started the physical portion," Minevra turned to Lily. "I will be making sure all of them have detention for a month and if it was up to me I would be giving you points. That stays between us," she said and Lily smiled weakly and nodded. "Now leave before I change my mind."