Chapter 33

Lily held a large parcel under her arms as she happily left the Gryffindor common room. There was a cool crispness to the air at Hogwarts and Lily was headed to the Three Broomsticks for her monthly standing appointment with Remus Lupin.

As Lily began her descent of the stairs, she heard a familiar plea of help. She stopped on the spot and turned back to head towards the source of the noise. She wasn't surprised by the sight that had appeared down the hallway. Some Slytherins had backed Peter into a corner and he was cowering just a little.

"Come on, move along," Lily said impatiently, waving her hands. She had better places to be, after all. "Pick on someone your own size," she shook her head. Though Lily didn't stand much taller than Peter, and was definitely much shorter than those Slytherins, her personality made her tower over them.

"Mudblood," Lily heard one of them mumble.

"Ten points from Slytherin," Lily yelled after them to more grumbling. She turned to Peter as he was fixing his robes. "Peter, you shouldn't provoke them," Lily spoke sternly. Peter nodded, embarrassed. "Where's James and Sirius? Why aren't you with them?" Lily furrowed her brows as they began to go back towards the stairs.

"James has Quidditch and I don't know where Sirius is," Peter's voice was so squeaky Lily was convinced that it had to be some type of spell. It couldn't be natural.

"Ah yes, Marlene was gone this morning," Lily recalled with a smile. "Well, stay out of trouble. I can't always be around to save the day," she joked which earned her a nervous laugh from Peter.

Lily left Peter, who went to the great hall for snacks, and exited the building. She could sort of make out some figures on brooms flying above the quidditch pitch as she passed by. She thought she could even hear James's voice yelling instructions about something. Lily adjusted the parcel under her arms and continued off the grounds and into Hogsmeade.

Her mind wandered to what James would say to her if he found out that she was walking alone to Hogsmeade. He was very overprotective, even if they were just friends. Lately, she was starting to think of him as more than friends again, especially after that potions lesson. She knew he had to feel some type of way about her again. But Lily Evans would not be making the move, no sir. Anyways, James would've gotten so upset if she told him she was walking alone. Lily knew she could take care of herself, but it felt nice that James cared so much.

"Morning," a shop owner nodded at Lily who smiled back. Lily opened the door to the Three Broomsticks and walked to the back table. She set the large parcel on the floor next to Remus with a wide smile.

Remus looked at Lily with a little surprise as he took a sip from his tea. Since fifth year, Remus and Lily had gotten together to discuss their issues and hopes and dreams and whatever else they wanted to. It started off as every couple of months but as the two got closer, it became once a month... at least. If there was James drama it could be up to twice a month. No one seemed to mind that they just left campus which probably wasn't great security wise but Lily chose not to think about that. Maybe they let them since they were two good students and it helped Remus.

"What's this?" Remus asked as Lily took a seat and gratefully took a drink from the warm tea Lupin ordered her.

"Just a little something I've been working on forever!" Lily burst out. "I was going to wait until Christmas but I can't wait so happy early Christmas, birthday, whatever," She set down her cup with a smile and sat on her hands.

"Should I open it now?" Remus asked, a little curious. Lily nodded and Remus carefully tore the paper from the gift. "Wow! It's a trunk," Remus smiled. He ran his hands over it to feel how smooth it was.

"That's not all," Lily said in a sing-song voice. She motioned to the side that was pointing at her. Remus turned so he could read what Lily had printed on the trunk.

Professor R. J. Lupin

Remus's face fell a little.

"Stop that. Don't even start," Lily stuck her finger out.

"But-"

"No! Come on Remus. The world is changing! Dumbledore would totally hire a rad werewolf professor! It's your dream. I know you'd make an absolutely wonderful teacher. I mean you practically teach Sirius everything," Lily said with a laugh and Remus smiled. "You're going to be a teacher one day. Do I ever lie?" Lily asked, raising her eyebrows.

"No," Remus smiled, defeated.

"Dream a little bit. This isn't a dream though. This is actually happening, I say it is," Lily took a swig from her cup of tea.

"Thank you, Lily," Remus took Lily's hand and squeezed it. "It's more than I deserve."

"If you don't shut up I'm going to kill you," Lily groaned and Remus laughed. "You've done so much for me and everyone and you never want anything. You deserve so much more than this crappy world has given you. I hope you like it though," Lily leaned back in her chair. "Hey, maybe you'll teach my kid one day," Lily joked and Remus laughed.

"Man, imagine me teaching any of our groups kids. Having to teach a kid that looks exactly like James? I think I'd be laughing too much at seeing little James again. Plus I'll probably see all your kids grow up. I'd be more of an uncle than a professor to them," Remus rolled his eyes.

"Merlin, don't make me think of little James's running around," Lily shivered. "The amount of trouble they'd get into," Remus and her fell into a fit of laughter.

Remus and Lily talked about the future, and of course James. Every time it was some new drama with James, but this time there was just positivity that maybe he would work out his issues and want to be with her. There was hope and optimism in a time of such uncertainty. Friendship always shines through the darkness, Lily reminded herself as she happily walked back to the castle with Remus Lupin.