Chapter 34

Lily and Marlene stood in their dormitory together, frustrated. Somehow, their room was an absolute pigsty despite both girls claiming neither of them were responsible.

"Marlene, give it up. I know it was you," Lily started picking papers up off the floor. Marlene looked at Lily with her eyebrows raised.

"Uh uh. I've been out allllllll day! Maybe it was your boy toy," Marlene rolled her eyes and began to remake her bed. The two bickered back and forth, neither of them using magic for some reason. As they were finishing up, Alice walked into the dorm.

"Oh hey! Thanks for cleaning up," Alice smiled at Lily and Marlene. Marlene dramatically fell on the bed, groaning, while Lily shook her head with a smile.

"Alice, what the hell happened in here," she laughed.

"I was practicing a spell and... didn't work," she shrugged and patted Lily's back. "It's okay. I'll get it next time," she smiled and walked back out of the dormitory.

"If she wasn't so damn lovable, I'd murder her," Marlene shook her head. She forced herself up to a sitting position when Lily didn't respond. Lily was kneeling on the floor, holding something from her trunk. "What is it?" Marlene asked, snapping Lily from her daze.

"It's James's," Lily stood back up, pretending she didn't just have a moment. "Quidditch," she showed it to Marlene. "He gave it to me almost a year ago when we started dating. I should probably give it back," Lily said quietly. Marlene nodded and laid back down.

"Well I need a nap," she sighed and Lily smiled weakly. "So much cleaning," Marlene rolled over and Lily shut the curtains for her. Lily made her way down to the common room and saw only three of the boys sitting together.

"Where's Potter?" Lily asked looking from the three of them.

"Nap," Sirius mumbled while shushing Lily so he could carefully think about his next move. He moved his knight on the board and sat back, looking proud. Remus moved one piece and Sirius's knight was destroyed. Lily laughed and turned to walk up the boys dormitory. Lily quietly opened the door handle to see James Potter, eye closed and mouth parted slightly. Lily tiptoed over to his bedside and placed the sweater down. She carefully moved his glasses on top of it. As she made her way back to the door, she stepped on a floorboard that loudly creaked. She cringed and turned around as James rolled onto his back.

"What's up?" He asked tiredly, eyes still shut.

"I'm sorry," Lily turned around, guiltily.

"No worries," James sighed, sitting up. He ran a hand through his hair. Lily did her best to avoid looking at his torso as she realized he was shirtless.

"I was just, uh, returning your sweater," Lily awkwardly pointed to it. James looked over to it and put his glasses on.

"What, you don't want it anymore?" James asked, getting out of bed. He didn't seem to feel awkward at all but Lily was ready to run out of the room and pretend nothing had happened. She kept her eyes firmly planted on James's face which must've made her look a lot more brave than she was feeling.

"No, well... no. I just think it's weird, don't you?" Lily wrung her hands together as James looked through his trunk for a shirt. "I mean, you have dated someone else and it probably should've gone to her," Lily added when James didn't say anything. He shrugged and walked up to her. Lily hadn't realized she had backed up to the wall. James rested his arm on the wall above her to look into her eyes. Lily inwardly cursed herself for having feelings for him. If she didn't, she would've had no big deal with him doing this. He'd done it millions of times before. But now all she could think about was his arms and how perfect they looked and his lips–

"If you say so," James said quietly. "But I don't think it belongs to anyone else," James had a cockeyed smile and before anything else could happen, he dropped his arm to his side and stretched upwards. He opened the door, but Lily was frozen to the spot.

"Uh, Lils?" He asked and Lily shook her head a little before quickly walking out the door. James knew exactly what he had done and was grinning broadly as they descended the stairs.

Lily made an excuse to go to the library and get some homework done so she didn't have to stay in the common room. When Lily returned, the common room was practically empty, except for one person.

"Studied hard?" James asked as he stood up. He had quite obviously been waiting for her.

"So hard," Lily lied. She hadn't done much but think about James and then think about if that made her weaker.

"Are you coming to the game tomorrow?" James took a step closer. Lily was ready to play the game this time.

"Perhaps," she admitted and stepped closer to him. The fire lit up only one half of James's face. He reached his arm up and ran a hand through Lily's hair. She closed her eyes briefly. His hands rested on her waist before sliding down to her hips and pulling her closer to him. She had to fight the urge to wrap her arms around his neck.

"I'd appreciate it if you came," James whispered in her ear, sending a chill down her spine. Lily shivered and James smiled a little, he still had it. As he pulled away, he placed a gentle kiss on her cheek.

"Goodnight, Lils," he whispered and let go of her, walking up the stairs. "Oh," he paused halfway up. "I think someone left something on your bed. So as tempting as it is to come follow me, do resist," he grinned a cocky smile and Lily shook her head.

"Goodnight, Potter," Lily tried to hide a smile as she went up her own stairs. Sure enough, on her bed was a bag and a single flower. This time the flower was a white rose. She put it in water and turned her attention towards the bag. She opened it and pulled out the sweater she had returned to James earlier that day. She picked up a note from the floor that had fallen out.

This belongs to you, even if we aren't dating (but if I wasn't a div I totally made a move on you tonight). Wear it tomorrow? For luck of course :)

JP

Lily smiled and folded the note to place in a pile of other notes from James.

When Lily woke up the next morning, she threw on James's sweater and some skinny jeans.

"Oh my god, are you two a thing again?!" Marlene exclaimed as she walked into the dormitory with a stack of toast.

"No," Lily rolled her eyes. "Not really anyways," she shrugged and Marlene gave her a doubtful look. "He gave me the sweater and asked me to wear it for luck today, okay?"

"Fine fine, you're not a thing," Marlene rolled her eyes and the two walked to the stands. The one positive of wearing the sweater that secretly made Lily happy was seeing Katie's reaction to her wearing a sweater that said Potter on the back. Sometimes you have to play their own game.