V. The Rich Girl

"You're early." Rob remarked on her way to me by a meter distance.

We agreed to meet in the park today. There are no classes, there's school but nothing academically related. So we're gonna make the most of the time.

"Where to first?" I ask.

"A cab to the closest mall." She answers.

Once we arrived at the mall, I follow her to the entrance of an expensive-looking botique.

"This is it." She grabbed two dresses in different colors: a baby pink and a powder blue.

It flows up to an inch above the knees and the neckline is a sweetheart with a ribbon to tie at the middle of it. The top shapes the bust and the rest of it is vertically pleated with a spaghetti strap, compared to the skirt which is very plain.

"The pink looks better on you." I say.

She smiles widely before excitingly swinging the curtain of the fitting room.

"What's the deal between Meg and Halle?" I ask from the other side of the curtain.

She took about 3 seconds before answering, "Back when we were in 8th grade and just like you, the twins were the new kids on the block. Halle and Meg used to be the Cory and Shawn, you know."

"And obviously, they're not anymore." I add.

She opens the curtain, revealing herself wearing the dress that fits her perfectly.

"It's really nice." I tell her and she smiles.

"They fought during the start of freshman year about...." She took awhile before inserting another subject to our conversation, "This needs something else."

We both scan the botique before she said, "Jackpot."

We walk our way to the rack where there are different colored tulle boleros in short-puffed sleeves.

She searched the rack until she found a pink one, matching the color of the dress.

"White is contrasting." I tell her.

"I knew all along, you were the perfect shopping partner." We both chuckle.

She took the two pieces to the counter and gave the cashier a credit card before walking out of the botique to a shoe store.

""It was about a guy." She added to the incomplete sentence a few lines ago.

I didn't expect Meg would actually allow her friendship to break because of a guy. But what would I know, I don't make guys the center of my attention anyways.

"Seriously?" I blurt out.

She looks at me while we walk, "You know, my first impression on you was you were the guys' girl."

I raise my brows, "It was a different idea for Meg, the first time we met, when she was with Taffy."

"Taffy? She's just one of Halle's past posse. Zack tried playing her attention if Halle could actually believe Meg would befriend her. He is that silly if you think about it."

"And what shoes?" She asks right away once we enter.

I point at the bottom shelf, where there is a pair of strappy heels in ruby, several shades darker than the dress.

"You know, it isn't that fun to shop alone." She said while trying the stilettos on.

"You're not alone, aren't you?"

"But you're not buying anything." She groans jokingly.

"Because I can't go tomorrow." I answer.

"Even if you go home early?" She gave her credit card to the cashier once again.

I thought about it before she said, "I'm starving."

We walked a few kilometers to a casual cafe with the city view and we sat beside the window.

"Meg started hanging out with us and Halle was furious with me." She started the conversation once we were seated.

"She was jealous?"

"That triggered it, I guess." She placed her elbow on the table just in time when our order arrived.

"How about the brother?" I curiously ask.

"Red?" She asks, assuring.

I nod, "How come Zack said he was worse than Stan? I haven't seen him with a single girl."

"Stan is typical. Red is more of an.... all-nighter." I smirk at her description.

"Go on, eat. I still need your energy in giving me an advice for my purse." She laughs.

"You are taking daddy's credit card way too seriously for this dance." I honestly tell her.

"That's one benefit of having a mom with a great taste of a second husband." She swallows her food.

"You see that building over there?" She points at the window, "The tallest one that's closest to the beach. He owns that, Gregory Le Blanc."

"You're telling me that you're the stepdaughter of one of the richest men in LA?" I ask, casually.

"The richest. But it's not a big deal. I'm not the natural heir to the throne." She chuckles as if she was thinking of something funny before adding,

"Stan, my stepbrother is."