XXII. The History

I took a walk to the Dakotas'.

There are some answers that I need to ask and I gotta return his sweatshirt.

After knocking twice, unpantient for someone to open the door for me, I let myself in and find him sitting on the couch and reading. Didn't think much of him as a reader.

I sat on the chair opposite of him and crossed my legs.

"I have some questions for you." I got straight to the point.

When he didn't answer, I asked away.

"You had wolfsbane on you last night, didn't you?" I guessed. It's possible that he was wearing it and when he touched me, I weakened enough to turn back into human.

He lowered his book and looked at me with his narrowed eyes, "Your feelings make you weak."

That answer made me smirk, "What do you know about how I feel?"

"Maybe.... I'm your mate."

My natural instinct was to throw the shirt that I'm holding to his face which earned me a chuckle.

"You can turn anytime, right? Turning back into human fastly is not unusual for you." His statement made sense, "Now I have a question, what's the story?"

Flashback....

"It's time for you to go to the next level, Lei." Papa said as he hands me my bow and arrows.

"You see that deer over there? That's your new aim." He pointed at the mousedeer that's walking from a kilometer away.

"But...." A 7-year old me hesitated but it's his order and I need to do this in order to get to the next level which I have no clue whatever it is.

I positioned my arms and held back the arrow and eyed my target. I was too hesitant that I shot the tree behind it but when it started running, my instincts told me to shoot it.

And I did.

When I did, for the first time, my vision started to get darker but in some sense, clearer. Then my teeth were aching, mostly on the sides.

The next thing I knew, I woke up in my bed and I heard my parents talking.

"How is that possible?" My mom asked, frustrated.

"I don't know. But we need to protect her. As soon as someone finds out, she's-"

"Are you feeling better, Lei?" The lady beside me asked.

She's the unmarried woman who serves as a nurse in our small community in the woods.

"What happened?" I asked her.

She just smiled at me before calling my parents, "She's awake."

"How are you, sweetie?" Mom asked.

I just nodded before turning to my dad who's exiting our house.

My birthday came the next month.

"It's time for your present." Mom said, smiling, as I got out of bed.

Dad came inside with a small box and sat with me.

"This is very special, you should bring it with you everywhere." He said.

"And it's stylish." I got my love for clothes from my mom. She's my personal fashion icon since I was a baby.

Dad opened the box and a shining golden sun revealed.

"It's for Soleil, right? Matches my name." I told them.

They looked at each other first before facing at me and smiling.

"It is." Dad answered.

"I love it." I stood up and hugged them both.

End of Flashback...

I never took it off since then. Except every full moon.

"You had to kill to turn?" He asked.

"I was born one, not bitten by one." I explained shortly.

Reminiscing in the past has somehow something to do with my present questions.

That simply means that my necklace didn't just hold me back from turning during the daytime. It didn't control my anger.

It weakened me since the beginning.

Their double doors opened and it revealed Robyn who is surprised by the presence of me as I am to her.

An expressionless Red looked at her as she smiles awkwardly and talked,

"Okay, uhm. I just need a place to crash."