XXIII. The Backstabber

Kevin

"Any plans for Christmas?" Meg asked the group as soon as she sat down on our cafeteria table.

"I'm gonna be working." Zack answered first.

"No, you're not." Meg pouted.

Zack has the most limited free time. His parents do not support him financially and according to him, they aren't based in the country. My mom offered him to live with us, rent-free, since she learned about his status.

"There's going to be a party in the Le Blanc's and I'm pretty sure I won't attend." Rob answered next.

"Sol?" Meg asked for her attention.

That's the only time that she looked up since lunch period and her mind is traveling for half an hour by then.

"I don't really celebrate." She simply answered.

"Well now you're going to." Meg smiled before facing me, "Are you open on Christmas Eve?" She asked, referring to the cafe.

"Nope." I answered, popping the 'p'.

"How about we all celebrate there? I'll bring Papa and we can all bring food." She suggested.

"The more the merrier." Rob agreed.

After finishing our food, we separated ways and I walked with Sol since we're going to the same class.

"I know."

"Huh?" She asked from my sudden conversation starter.

"I get what's different about you." I said before looking at her neck.

She raised her brow at my obvious indication.

"You changed your bra size." I joked.

It took her seconds before realizing what I just said and it took me a couple more before realizing what I just said. I shouldn't be slipping that kind of talk with a girl.

"That's so awkward." She said, but still half-smiling.

Not for me, really.

"I was kidding. Your necklace. I haven't seen you wearing it for days already. You didn't lose it again, did you?" I said.

She shook her head, "It's not really what I thought it was." She said which confused me.

"What do you mean?" We entered the classroom and I sat beside her.

"I guess it's just an emblem of my parents and my childhood memories." She said, confirming my theory that it's not the whole story of why she doesn't wear it anymore.

I walked to the parking lot and waited for him.

His figure showed up from meters across me, signaling me to go to the back of the campus.

I walked as fast I could while doing it unsuspiciously. When I arrived, he was already there, leaning at the brick wall and smoking.

"You didn't tell me there was going to be a party in your house at Christmas." I put my hands inside the pockets of my jacket.

His forehead creased, "What? You don't actually expect me to invite you there and be my plus-one, right?" He smirked.

That sentence made me turn my back and walk out but he stopped me.

"I'm just kidding, come on. I'm not even going to that thing. I won't bother facing my father, especially with you by my side." His last words were a whisper to him but they were the saddest noise to my ears that ran its way to my brain causing myself to feel a big slap on the face.

"Now, what's the story?" He asked which got my attention back.

"What you heard isn't the main purpose of her necklace." I said.

His brows furrowed before asking, "You mean it's not stopping her from being an animal without the full moon?" He repeated.

"All I heard is it's a symbol, an emblem, in exact words of her childhood memories and her parents." I explained from what I heard from hours ago.

"What does that mean?" He asked.

"That's all I have." I told him.

"Her parents..." He processed in his mind before asking right again, "Who are her parents?"

"They don't exist anymore, Stan. That's the point." I said before adding, "Now that you have your information. Where's the payment?"

He looked me straight in the eye before pulling my head and closing the distance between us.