XXXIII. The Suggestion

I haven't slept all night thinking about.... things.

I got out of bed and picked an outfit for school today. Right after I went home last night, I immediately took a cold shower and tried to rest my mind.

My laziness got me a mini skirt with little floral prints and a white Lacoste. I topped it with my gray sweatshirt and pulled the collar out. I just picked out the first pair of shoes I saw, some high-top Reeboks.

Holding the strap of my backpack, I went my way downstairs when I saw the doorknob of Carla's room move. But she didn't go out nor opened the door. I walked away but went back with small steps and leaned at the wall beside the door.

"Ah!" She yelled in surprise when she saw me. I raised my brow. She is avoiding me.

She laughed nervously before saying, "Girl, you're gonna be late." Her accent was stronger than usual like it's being forced. Is this what nervousness does to her?

"We have to talk." I said before going down.

She followed me anyway, "We can do that later. You need to be at school in less than an hour?" She excused.

I faced her, tilting my head. "Who cares?"

"Sit." I pointed at the chair in front of me.

She sighed out loud before starting, "What do you want to talk about? I was on my way home when I saw your friend go inside that building so I followed him and I caught several men on the floor unconscious so I grabbed one of the guns and when I saw the man pointing his gun to your friend, I got nervous, so I shot him."

She talked so fast that I didn't even listen at the end, "I don't care about that." I leaned to her, "A normal person would've run away or go to the sheriff to report an animal on loose."

She opened her mouth without any words coming out for a second, "I had met someone.... someone like you. Very much like you, hija."

My brows automatically furrowed with her title of me again. Nobody calls me that, at least notnfor a long time. And that only one who had is long gone already.

"Please don't tell anyone about me." I plead.

"Of course." She answered right away.

I couldn't tell the look on her eyes but I felt the need to fill her in with what's happening in my life. Especially that she's the one who lives with me.

Flashback....

"Lei, come on out here. You need to achieve something today." Mom called.

I went out, playing with the pendant of my new necklace given to me, "Quid est?"

Whenever she calls me for a daily achievement, she meant learning the language of where our blood has originated from.

She's my personal teacher. She told me that she can't bear to not see me for hours so she volunteered to be one.

"No, hun. You are gonna learn something different today." She knelt in front of me and removed my necklace before whispering, "You have to control it, hija."

We went to the deepest part of the woods with my dad, "You're just like me, Lei. You're strong and you can do it. Turn." With his last words, the claws on his hands grew.

"But it's not full moon." I said, confused.

"You don't need the moon. That's why you're named Soleil." He smiled, "Now, do you feel any heightened emotions today?"

I thought about the question, "Yes. I'm angry at Pearce. Yesterday, he made me trip on his foot for no reason." I ranted.

Pearce is the only one who had the same age as mine in our village. I used to wanna be friends with him but he was always a bully since I first said 'hi' to him.

Dad laughed, "Okay. Well, you should be able to manage your anger. It's a good factor in turning but it will also be your greatest enemy when you're a wolf."

"Huh?"

"It's like a bacteria." He explained.

"Now, think of everything Pearce has done to you. But when you thought of everything, then you think of the times when you actually had fun."

I did what he told me.

I felt myself turn. I just thought of all the pranks that was done to me. And then, I lost myself.

The next thing I knew, I was on my bed. All I remember was.... I didn't do step two of what dad told me. What happened?

"Soleil!" The door banged the wall from being pushed too hard.

"You need to go!" Mom held my hand and ran, dragging me.

"What's happening?" I asked, a hundred percent clueless.

"Awooo!!!" I unheld mom's hand when I heard a familiar howl. It was my dad's.

"That's her!" A bald man pointed at me before mom carried me on her back and ran fastly to the woods.

"I love you, Lei. Never lose this." She touched my necklace, "Now, run! Someone will meet you. Run." She pushed me so I started tearing up but I did what she told me.

That was the last time that I saw them.

End of flashback....

"Is it your first time telling another person about this?" Carla asks with worried eyes. I just nod in response.

"Maybe, you should go back to Texas and find some answers." She said which made me confused.

I never mentioned that I was from Texas.