XII. The Partners

Halle

I rush to block my bedroom door because as surprising as it can be, the step-sister of my brother's bestfriend is in my house, early in the morning, asking if she can actually touch my clothes.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, impatiently waiting for an answer.

"I crashed here." She said like it was the most obvious thing. It is, though. But still, that doesn't explain why she's here.

I smiled widely enough to know that it's fake before telling her, "Explain."

"You know what, don't." I quickly added. I don't need to hear any explanations. I already understood it, like mother, like daughter.

"One, two, three, four, five, six, keep up!" I tell one of the freshman cheerleaders.

"Take three." I announce before they all went to their water jugs. I didn't become the captain for nothing. I'm the best, even among the juniors and seniors in the team.

"Watch her back, Stan." I said when I felt his presence behind me before turning to look at him.

He doesn't seem to follow what I just said, judging from his brow raised.

"I woke up and got a good morning from your step-sister, except it wasn't good at all." I explain further.

"Robyn?" He seemed surprised as well, "What was she doing there?" And that question again.

"I was hoping you'd have the answer."

I check the time and it's been exactly 2 minutes and 56 seconds.

I look back at Stan and looked directly in his eyes, "And you do. We'll talk later."

"No rush. Those mini skirts are keeping me entertained." He said, grinning before leaving.

"Alright. Five, four, three, two...."

I remember timely that guys use to be the one to wait for girls? I guess that's too much of a history. It doesn't feel good to know how old you are.

"Sorry to keep you waiting." Stan went out of his classroom.

"And when there are several girls, they don't have to be patient." I point out the irony.

"We had a quiz, there's no need to be jealous." I didn't mind his last line and walked fastly to my car as he followed.

"As much as I know that Robyn is just like her mother, I'm pretty sure she wouldn't go all the way to sleep with the brother of the.... ex-friend of her friend." I started.

"She slept with Red?" He laughed.

I look at him seriously, he's not focusing on the subject.

"You actually saw them having-"

"No. And the vision makes me sick, thanks so much." I roll my eyes in sarcasm.

"Look, I don't know why she was there. I have nothing to do with it." He lifts her shoulders for a second.

"But...." I smile at when that word raised from the conversation.

"She was asking me about a necklace."

I shook my head signing 'more information, please.'

"It's Soleil's. She said we," He pointed at both of us, "....would die if she didn't get it."

And the memory occured. When the wolf woke up, she came finding for the necklace immediately. And how does that kill us?

"Robyn was trying to find you last night so she came to my house." I loudly said my analysis.

"But I wasn't there because I needed to go to someone special." He whispers which made me look at him.

I couldn't bare forgetting what happened last night.

Every year, we dream of it, even if we're awake. Red and I didn't live out 70 out of our hundred years but that night stayed through our minds and it hasn't come off since then.

Last year, it was Meg who was there for me. But I didn't know anyone else in the position to be my distraction so I called Stan.

And he made it a big deal when he shouldn't have.

"And why was she asking you about it?" I shifted the topic back.

"She somehow said that Becky, or was it Willa?" I rolled my eyes at the mention of his girls' names, "....has the necklace."

I raise my brows in mixed frustration and amusement.

"I wouldn't care if I'm making out with a thief. In fact, that is pretty hot." And now, I'm pretty sure he's trying to insert this in our conversation.

"Take it back." I say.

"I already compelled the girl to forget me. You can't expect me to see her again." He answered.

"Then do what you do best, Stan. We're gonna need that necklace."