The Best Medicine

I stared straight ahead of me as if that would make him appear. It did not, but that didn't mean I was going to stop trying just because it wasn't working. Rock poked my arm. "Jen. What are you doing? Staring doesn't do anything. Unless you're staring at Sexy... but he's not here. So stop it." I exhaled, rolling my eyes. 

"I know he's not here! That's the problem!" I exclaimed. 

Comprehension lit up her silver eyes. "Oh. Yep, that is a problem. Say, Jen, would you want to go find the Potions Master and skip class?" she inquired, her face brightening considerably at the thought of seeing the professor. 

Although I was concerned about Snape, I have never skipped a class in my life. And I didn't plan on starting now. "No, I don't want to skip class. We can look for him later," I retorted. Rock's expression flattened. I stared at her, waiting for her to tell me what the problem was this time. This ought to be good. 

"Jen... that was a rhetorical question. I do not care if you want to stay here; either you come with me willingly or I'll drag you!" she hissed. I raised an eyebrow in dry amusement. 

Standing up, casting a look at the substitute teacher (Professor Sprout), gathered my books, and the both of us bolted out the door without a backwards glance. Honestly, I don't think she noticed we left the classroom. I'm pretty sure she was talking to some kid about Herbology. "Okay, where do you think he is?" I whispered, just in case a teacher heard us roaming the hallways. "He wasn't at lunch, was he?" 

She shook her head, blonde curls bouncing. "Nope. I think we should look in his quarters first." I became puzzled. 

"Why would he be there? What if he's sick? Then he'd be in the Hospital Wing," I pointed out. 

Rock rolled her eyes. "Fine, Jen. You check the Hospital Wing and I'll go check the professor's quarters. Whoever finds him first sends the other a Patronus to tell them where he is. But I'm right and I'll find him first." I shrugged in non-commitment and set off on my way down the other end of the hallway. Something told me that I was going to end up regretting our little competition, but no matter. We had to find Snape. 

I entered the Hospital Wing, immediately glancing over all the beds. There was no one there. But that didn't necessarily mean that Snape was in his own quarters. Madam Pomfrey rushed up to me, looking concerned. "Is something wrong, my dear?" she demanded. 

"No, ma'am. Just looking for one of my friends. He didn't show up to class and I was worried about him," I mumbled, playing the shy, little girl. She smiled kindly at me. Ha ha, I fooled her! Like I was a little girl! Although, admittedly, I kind of am shy. 

"Well, I haven't had anyone in here all day, thank goodness," she informed me. "Everyone seems to be healthy so far this year." 

Something silver flashed out of the corner of my eye. I turned around, my expression probably looked comical. It went from self-assured victory to one of blatant failure. The snow leopard said clearly, in Rock's melodic voice, "Jen... I win!" I mouthed a silent swear word, turning my face from Pomfrey so she wouldn't see me. "Thank you, ma'am. I'll see you soon -Or if things go well, I won't see you soon. Either way." 

Muttering darkly to myself, I walked all the way back to the dungeons. Rock was leaning against the wall, looking smugly triumphant. "Yes, I see you received my message?" she asked cheerfully. I shot her a poisonous glare and crossed my arms. "Oh, all right, I'm sorry I was right. But you're right the rest of the time! Give the rest of the human race a chance!" 

A corner of my mouth lifted up without my permission, giving into a smile. "All right, I'm happy you were right. Now let's go!" I said, taking her by the arm. The bedroom was dark -more so than usual- and the entire atmosphere seemed to have dropped from warm to dead-of-winter cold. I shivered and Rock's skin instantly broke out into goosebumps. "What's wrong with him?" I inquired, barely louder than a breath.