forty-eight.

My eyes opened slowly to the dark room, the sound of my phone ringing bouncing off of the walls as I let out a small groan, rolling over in the empty bed as I reached out to the nightstand, bumping the lamp as I grabbed my phone

My eyes opened slowly to the dark room, the sound of my phone ringing bouncing off of the walls as I let out a small groan, rolling over in the empty bed as I reached out to the nightstand, bumping the lamp as I grabbed my phone. I looked at the screen with one eye open, seeing an unknown called idea as I let out another groan, swiping the screen as I brought it up to my ear, curling back up into bed as I pulled the comforter up to my neck.

"Hello?" I said into the phone, my voice groggy as I cleared my throat quickly, hearing a weird humming sound coming from the other end of the call. "Ally" Steve said on the other side, causing me to roll onto my back as I sat up, pushing the phone into my ear as I ran my hand through my hair. "Are you okay?" I asked, putting one hand behind me as I leaned into it, looking at the clock to see it was barely even 5am.

"Can you meet us?" he asked me as he cleared his throat, that question already causing me to throw the sheets off of me as I climbed out of the bed. "Of course I can" I said as I flipped the light switch by the bed, walking into the closest as I grabbed a pair of jeans quickly, throwing them over my shoulder.

"It's not going to be an easy journey" Steve said to me as I left the closet, going into the bathroom as ai threw my jeans onto the floor quickly, looking at myself in the mirror. "That's okay I'll make it, do you have a location?" I asked him, needing to know where I was going and if I needed to take a jet or if I could easily get there in my car, the better option of the two as that would mean I could leave without causing any explanation.

"Wakanda"

!

I walked down the hall, still in my jeans and white tshirt which I slept in, having to fly a single piloted jet here with little sleep. The Dora Milaje guard in front of me held a spear in her hand, leading me down the hall as I pushed my hair behind my ears, following after her as I looked around.

The journey here was rather smooth, but the entrance to Wakanda was one hell of a ride, and even though I had only been here for a short amount of time I could tell that this wasn't the typical third world country. The guard opened up a door as she stood back, letting me walk inside to reveal Steve and Bucky, the latter sitting on a table, his metal arm missing as people walked about the room, presumably scientists as they all spoke to each other in hushed whispers.

"Hey" I said as I walked into the room, Steve walking over to me as he pulled me towards him, hugging me tightly. "You okay?" I asked him as I pulled away, looking up to his face to see bruises on his cheek, which looked like he had been hit extremely hard. "Why am I here?" I asked him as he kissed me on top of the head gently before I pulled away, looking at Bucky who smiled over at me weakly. "What happened?" I asked him, walking over to him as he looked down at where his metal arm once used to be, his face littered with a few cuts and scratches.

"Stark" he said as he looked over at me, still smiling a little as I looked over at Steve who shrugged his shoulders, standing next to me as he pushed his hands into the pockets of his jacket. I looked around the room quickly, recognising the Cyro Freeze chamber as I looked back at Steve and Bucky. "Are you going in that?" I asked Bucky, pointing over at it as he nodded his head at me, looking down at his legs.

"I can't trust my own mind" Bucky said to me as I let out a small breath, knowing that this was probably his idea to contact T'Challa. "So, until they figure out how to get this stuff out of my head I think going back under is the best thing" Bucky said, taking a deep breath as he looked back up at Steve and I, tilting his head to the side. "For everybody" he added, as I looked over at Steve who was already staring back at me.

"You know, you never did apologise for breaking my trachea" I said to him jokingly, making him laugh as he shook his head, raising one eyebrow at me. "Send me the receipt for your hospital bill" he replied as I smiled back at him, shaking my head at him as Steve took a small step back, crossing his arms as he walked away from the two of us, giving us a moment. "Are you sure you want to do this?" I asked him, Bucky shaking his head at me as I pushed my hair over my shoulder.

"Ally" he started as I didn't let him finish, cutting him off as quickly as I could. "You can lay low, I'll help" I said quickly. shrugging my shoulders as he looked over at me with raised eyebrows, his steel blue eyes piercing mines once again. "Ally" he repeated a bit more forcefully as I let out a sigh, shaking my head at him, telling him to stop talking which he did.

"I will come with you if that makes you feel any better" I told him, making him reach out and grab my hand in his, squeezing it tightly as I stopped talking, looking over at him. "I'm going to do this, I've already made up my mind" he said to me, rubbing the back of my hand with his thumb as I let out a deep breath, shaking my head as I stared him on the eyes.

"I just got you back" I said quietly, barely whisper but just loud enough for him to hear it. He didn't say anything for a moment, shaking his head as me as he raised his eyebrows, squeezing my hand a little as I rubbed my lips together quickly, my eyes threatening to leak tears as I but the inside of my cheek.

"You don't need me anymore" he said to me gently, causing me to let out a breath as I bowed my head, letting out a breath as a tear fell from my eye. "I'm always going to need you, Buck" I said to him softly, looking back up at him as the year rolled down my cheek smoothly, one of the scientist smiling over at us.

"If you are ready, Mr Barnes" he said before turning back to the screen he was working at, typing away as the others started preparing the chamber. Bucky smiled over at me as he lifted my hand up to his lips, kissing my knuckles gently as he nodded his head at me, Steve coming over and standing next to the two of us, Bucky's eyes going over to look at him.

"Are you ready?" Steve asked him as Bucky let go of my hand, causing me to shove both of them into the pockets of my jeans as Steve looked down at me, smiling weakly before turning back to Bucky. "Ready as I can be, right?" Bucky asked as Steve nodded his head, putting his hand on the small of my back to give me a bit of reassurance, a small breath leaving my lips before another tear fell from my eye, speaking softly.

"We'll see you soon"

——

A/N: i'm literally about to cry to be honest
so this chapter was heartbreaking for me to write so I hope you guys aren't as heart broken as I am right now
the next part is the last chapter of Contritium which is super sad because I swear I only just started this book but needless to say i'm really excited for book 6
so please vote and comment and JUST KEEP SWIPING!

A/N: i'm literally about to cry to be honest so this chapter was heartbreaking for me to write so I hope you guys aren't as heart broken as I am right nowthe next part is the last chapter of Contritium which is super sad because I swear I only jus...