Part 3: In Pursuit

The door slams and I jump once more. I didn't know about any of it. If I would have, I wouldn't have signed. Why would I want to degrade any of my doctors? Better yet, why would I want Helen Sharpe being purchased to go on a date with anyone?

I wouldn't.

I don't.

Picking up my phone, I call Brantley, who ignores my call. Fucking figures. The one time I need to speak with her and she isn't available. What the Hell am I gonna do? If I don't do something- Helen won't talk to me ever again. I can't lose her. She's the only thing I care about besides Luna. She's my best friend and my person. The person I go to for everything. The person who makes me feel better and makes me happy. Why would I jeopardize that?

I wouldn't.

I won't.

I need to think of a way. Anything! I cannot possibly let her go through with it or let her lose money over Brantley's malicious scheme. It's no secret Brantley doesn't care for Helen. She feels threatened by her because Helen doesn't back down from anything ever. Trying Karen again, she once more doesn't pick up and now I can't even think straight. What do I do? If I have to witness tomorrow night- my head is going to explode.

"Hello, Max." I finally get through. "I assumed Dr. Sharpe spoke with you."

"Yes and she and every other doctor you coerced into doing this is just as mad as she is and I'm right along with them! What are you thinking? These are my doctors! These women should be paid with the highest respect! Not being made to walk around half naked to make money! I'm not gonna stand for this and neither will they! This auction is off!"

"No, it's not, Max.You signed the document. A legal document. The board already agreed to this plan of action and everything that comes along with it. May I also remind you, that I have the power to take you to the board for punishment if you so dare to try and threaten me. As I recall, you said you weren't in charge of finding ways to fund the hospital- so long as it got done. Right?"

Damn it.

"Now, if you're done whining like a child, I have several more things I need to get done before tomorrow night. Maybe you should come and purchase your own date. Maybe if you're lucky you could even win a date with The Dr. Helen. Top Item tomorrow. She's gonna go for thousands."

"She's not an Item! She's a person!" I fume.

"She's also the only one on the list with any value according to many of the bachelors I spoke to. They all are very excited to win a date with her. Big money coming our way shortly. Now you go have fun and leave the funding to me." She hangs up and I wish I could just ring her neck. Helen is famous. No doubt there will be many men trying to win her affections at this thing. I have to stop this. I have too.

Walking out of my office, I head through the hall towards the Atrium. I need to think in some fresh air. Some of my female doctors come out and spot me.

"Thanks a lot Max. What'd we ever do to you?" Valentina yells at me as she passes with Dr. Hayes and Dr. Jessup. Candelario passes as well and just gives me a nasty look. All the women are mad at me and all because I didn't read the contract. Lauren passes by with Flores and I'm waiting for the comments.

"You know Max- this is unfair and a dick move." She flips me off and keeps walking and Flores just shakes her head. As I stand there in the atrium, all the doctors pass me with mean and angry comments. I just stand there and take it. What else am I to do?

"Yo, what was all that about?" Floyd asks as he walks closer to me.

"I made a mistake in not reading a legal document and now all the female doctors have to be bought in an auction for a date and it all happens tomorrow night. How am I going to stop this?" I look at him and he shakes his head.