Part 32: A Christmas Eve Party

A Christmas Poem
By: Maxim Nathaniel Goodwin

The halls are deck in boughs of holly,

Stockings hung by the chimney with care,

In hopes the home looks magnificent,

When our dear friends appear.

Helen is going batty,

All is merry and bright,

I wish I could start drinking,

For Santa Claus needs to be drunk tonight.

Frosted windows pains,

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire,

All our friends will be arriving,

To our new house within the hour.

Jingle bells, jingle bells,

Making spirits bright,

I'll have myself a blue (balled) Christmas,

Because I won't get laid tonight.

So have yourself a Merry little Christmas,

The party will go off without a hitch,

But Helen's weird attitude is making me,

Into one mean Grinch.

.........................

As our friends slowly show up, I check the ham to make sure it isn't burning or is too dry. I place another slice of pineapple on it and close the oven back up. Helen is getting dressed upstairs as Luna walks around the Christmas tree, looking at the pretty bulbs Helen put on. Since yesterday afternoon she really hasn't said anything to me. I don't know if she's just mad at me or if she really has nothing to say, but I really dislike that we are in this weird rut.

The door bell rings and I head to get it. The first to arrive is Lauren and Casey with Baby Max and a few presents for Luna.

"Wow! The place looks amazing!" Lauren says as she gives me a side hug and stomps her shoes off on the rug by the door.

"Thanks. It only took a week to get it this way, so- ya know." Casey and I fist bump and he hands me Max. "Hey pal! Uncle Max has been waiting to see you little man."

"Where's Helen at?" Lauren looks around, taking in the living room, dining room, kitchen, and family room as she meanders.

"Upstairs getting dressed." She heads upstairs, leaving Casey, the kids and I to greet Vijay, who shows up with E.K, as we call the baby. "Hey! Come on in. Oh she is precious in that dress."

"Thank you, Pupa, had a hard time picking from the many outfits Aunt Helen and the others got her." I feel bad- not just because Ella passed away, but because her family decided they wanted nothing to do with the baby. They didn't even want Ella to have the baby in the first place because it was out of wedlock- so now Vijay is a full time grandpa. But Helen and Lauren have been helping him quite a bit when he needs a break.

"Well, she looks beautiful." Vijay hands me her as well and now I have both tiny babies in my arms. Helen and Lauren come downstairs and Helen is in her black and white leopard dress made of sheer and a red belt to go around it. Her red boots shine under the fluorescent lights and her and Lauren swoon at the sight of both babies so close to each other

"Oh my goodness! Max has a girlfriend!" Lauren says and Vijay wags his finger.

"Absolutely, not! Ella Karisha will not be dating anyone!" Vijay protests and we all laugh.