Chapter 35: Merry Christmas...Meet the Parents

A Christmas Poem
By: Helen E. Sharpe

Oh holy Hell,
This day will be shit,
I wanted my Christmas,
To be more relaxing than this.

All I want for Christmas,
Is a plane ticket home,
Because I didn't think we'd have company,
I wanted us to be alone.

This Christmas,
I wanted to give him my heart,
Even after all the fighting,
I don't want us to part.

Up on the rooftop,
I might learn to fly,
This Christmas is going to be ruined quickly,
God, just let me die.

............

With Max's parents arriving shortly, I fix Luna's dress and hair to make her look even more adorable than she already is. I'm so nervous. I've heard chatterings from the few employees who have met Mr. and Mrs. Goodwin.

He is a lovely and kind soul.

And.

She is a racist prude, who thinks so highly of herself.

Perfect.

What could go wrong tonight?

Max has been nervous as well- though he doesn't come off like it. He has adjusted his green tie more times than I care to count. His white dress shirt is becoming wrinkled by how many times, he smooths it down into his black dress pants. I'm starting to wonder, if I actually should take the car and go somewhere. The house is immaculate and the side walk and driveway are clear for passage. I just hope the turkey dinner is up to Mrs. Goodwin's standards. This is going to be a fucking mess. All of it. I had the perfect day planned out for us. The perfect gift to give Max. Ruined. Soiled. A pair of headlights flash through our front window and I feel my heart race even faster. Maybe I should go. Just slip out the back and pretend I had to run to the store.

"Mom, Dad-welcome! Merry Christmas!"

To fucking late.

I have Luna in my arms and I feel as if I'm going to be sick. She's playing with a few of my braids when Max walks them into the front living room. I'm not ready. I'm not.

"So! This is so charming, Maxim. Very nice."

"Thanks Mom." He seems so calm and collected now. Then again- what does he have to be nervous for. They're his parents. They automatically love him. "May I take your coats?"

So polite. Fuck me.

"Yes, thank you. So? Where's my favorite Granddaughter?" Perfect.

"Oh, she's with..." There it is. The hesitation. "My girlfriend."

Bravo! You did it.

"Girlfriend? Didn't know you were dating again." His mom says with a judgemental tone.

"That's because I wanted you two to meet her. Helen?" Fuck. Fuck. Fuck! I slowly walk with Luna and I can visibly see his mother cringing into her own skin. Her smile dwindles for a brief moment and then she regains control of appearing polite and proper. His father, on the either hand, has a genuine grin on his face. "Mom, Dad- I'd like you both to meet my girlfriend and work partner- Dr. Helen Sharpe. Helen these are my parents. Nancy and Jack Goodwin."