Part 9: Her

I've been nervous since before she arrived and long since we shared a small kiss. Earlier, before she arrived, I struggled with myself. I'm ready to be with Helen. I am. I want it more than anything, but I keep feeling that guilt in my chest. I looked down at my wedding band and knew that that was the reason my body is betraying me. Sliding it off, I put it in Georgia's jewelry box and there it is now as Helen questions my readiness.

"It's okay, Max. Truly, it is." It's not though. I'm not going to stay silent. I need to fight to tell her how I feel. Reassure her.  I turn to face her and I take her hands. I just stare at her for a few minutes. The one time in my life, my mouth isn't moving and it chooses now to do so.

"Stay here. Please." I get up and head into my bedroom. Her face before I leave is conflicted. She probably thinks I'm insane. Bipolar. I grab the velvet box, Iggy gave me to use and I come back to her. It's in my pocket and I sit back down in front of her. Her eyes scanning mine, worried- doubting. "I want to tell you a story."

"Okay. Go on." Her voice is quiet and soft and her gaze just as so. I take her hands and look deep into her eyes.

"I met this old lady yesterday. I was standing in her shop wondering what do to make today special and meaningful for you. She helped me. Plan the whole thing. The owner of the shop- taking her time to help a poor fool make the best decision to show how much I love you." She looks at me sideways a bit, her brown sugared skin pinkening on her cheeks. "So I took her advice. I picked the Salmon, and the cherries, the wine. The card. The cake. I picked it all. Hoping and praying that you would not only show up and stay, but that you would see how much I want you."

Her eyes let a few small tears drop from her eyes and I squeeze her hands.

"After checking out and getting ready to go, she gave me one last thing with one last bit of advice." I take out the velvet box that's in my pocket and her eyes widen, lips part, and her hand that is still clasped in my left one, shakes. I hand her the box and she doesn't move. She doesn't open it. "True love is rare and very special. If you take care of it it'll last you forever."

She opens the box and I see her whole body just release the tension it built up. No doubt she thought I was proposing.

"Helen, I'm ready for you. I've been waiting a long time. I would wait an eternity for you, because you mean that much to me. So, when you're ready and if you decide you want to go full chemo with me..." She laughs and wipes her eyes."Then I will be patiently waiting for you."

She pushes herself into my arms and knocks me backwards onto the floor. I hit my head and she laughs and puts her hand under my head and with her other hand, she pushes my hair back. Having her on top of me- my whole body twists around itself, knotting my stomach up and pushing it around my insides.

"I've been waiting a long time too." I look at her. She didn't just say that. "I love you, Max. So much."

My hands are on her exposed skin on her back and I lift my head and find her lips. She nips at my bottom lip as she goes to kiss me back and I feel her smiling against my lips. Sliding my hands up and down her back, I can't believe this is happening. Making out with Helen Sharpe- what could get any better than that. She pulls away and looms down at me.

"So that lady really gave you her necklace to give to me?"

"Yes. She did." She smiles and kisses me again.

"That was very kind of her"

"Yes, it was."

"Well, if everything else so far was amazing- I'm curious as to how that cake will be." I look at her big cheeky smile and can't help but grin myself.