Part 27: Rubble and Dust

I think about all the time I wasted.

All the moments that could have been.

Never happened.

I think about all the moments spent.

All the times that brought me joy.

Will never be relived.

I think about all the memories.

All the smiles and hugs.

Faded from me.

I think about him.

All of him.

Never.

To.

Be.

Mine.

Ever again.

...............................................................................

4:35 November 28th- Present Day

The coroner came.

They took Ella.

Her baby remains.

We remain.

I haven't been able to to move for the last day now. I have merely sat and rocked and held Luna close to me. I stare at the tv. Watching the news say the same thing and never giving me anything more that a mere glimpse of him in his message to me. They replay his words. Over and over and over again. They give me nothing new.

No reassurance.

No hope.

Nothing.

I feel.

Nothing.

I'm lost in the pain.

I hear their chattering.

"We have to do something. We can't just let her sit there." Marcus says and Martin sighs.

"She's scared. Like the rest of us. The one place that was supposed to be a sanctuary is demolished. With our spouses inside. With our friends. And every other person who just wanted help. What do you want me to for her? Hmm? What can I do for her that I haven't already done?" I hear Martin's voice break. They've tried moving me. They've tried feeding me. Getting me to drink. I'm unmoved. I'm not even sure, I'm hear any more.

"It's not healthy, letting her just sit there like that. Watching the same news over and over again. Rocking. She can't even cry any more. She's out of tears. We have to take her away from here. To much trauma." Marcus says and Amy chimes in.

"I think we all need to just sit and pray together. The children are scared and Helen's lost her damn mind. We need to just sit and pray something good happens because if one more thing goes wrong- that woman is going to lose her shit." She's wrong.

I've already lost it.

I have nothing else.

I'm broken and have no pieces left.

Our phones go off.

Government Alert.

"Says lock down is over. We should go help!" Marcus says and Martin shakes his head.

"They won't let us because we aren't qualified in search or rescue." I stand up. My joints ache. My legs are weak. I turn and go towards the door. "Helen! Helen- wait."

I turn and look at him. My eyes bloodshot from keep them open.

"I'm going to find Max. Dead or alive- I'm bringing him home." That's all I say and I leave. Luna and I head out and down the hall to the elevator. She looks up at me and coos, while laying into my chest. "Let's go get Daddy."