Chapter 26: Classes

Draco's POV
After Harry and I were finished in the bathroom, we headed to our first class, hoping to arrive early. We ducked quietly into the Charms classroom. The room was empty but for the tiny professor, shuffling papers atop his stack of books.
"Ahem." I cleared my throat to alert him to our presence, so that we didn't accidentally startle him.
"Oh, Mr. Malfoy! Mr. Potter! You're early," squeaked Flitwick, looking up, startled. His bushy eyebrows gave his pleasant face a perpetually stern expression, entirely unsuited to his character. "Come in, come in! Find a seat!"
Harry glanced over at me and asked, in a low whisper, "Somewhere in the back?" Instead of answering I simply nodded, leading the way to a partner table in the far back corner of the room. The both of us then went about preparing for the lesson, taking out parchment and quills and textbooks. Slowly other students started trickling in. Some scowled in our direction, but for the most part Harry and I went unnoticed.
____________________________________

Charms went by quickly. This lesson was over the Tickling Charm, which was fairly basic and easy to cast. That did not mean, however, that the lesson was enjoyable by any means. Several times, while Flitwick was writing on the board with his back to the class, I felt a hex hit me. I was fairly certain that I had about four new bruises as a result.
Next up was Defence. Harry and I gathered up our belongings, repacking our satchels. I stood up, making to leave the room, but when I rose my vision swam and I swayed unsteadily on my feet. I leaned heavily on the desk beside me to brace myself, waiting for the dizziness to pass.
"Whoa, Draco. Are you okay? What's wrong?" Harry was going into Mother Hen mode again, and I chuckled, brushing off his concerns.
"Relax, will you? I'm okay." I smiled. "Dizzy spells run in my family, it's nothing to worry about." I lied through my teeth, even as a pang of hunger shot through my abdomen, making me wince. The emptiness hurt, but it was familiar and comforting in a way. Harry seemed convinced by my excuse and smiled easily back at me, bumping his shoulder into mine.
"Let's get going, yeah? We're going to be late to Defense." I smiled back, a real smile this time, and accompanied him out into the corridor, heading towards DADA.

A short while later the two of us reached out destination, sneaking inside the room as discreetly as possible. There were several seats open at the back of the class, and we swiftly claimed two that were next to each other, sitting and unpacking once again.
  At the front of the room the new professor was pacing back and forth, introducing herself. Professor Rook Crassus.
Professor Crassus did not quite look like she belonged in Hogwarts. She looked so out of place in so many different ways, from her age to her manner to her clothes. A young woman, she looked to be in her mid-twenties, with wavy jet black hair that nearly reached her waist. She wore black combat boots, black pants that appeared to be made of dragon hide, an olive green top, and a leather jacket. A strap crossed her torso, holding a sheath to her back, out of which the hilt of a sword protruded, visible over her left shoulder. A Ruby pendant hung at her throat and she wore a dragon ear cuff. She was not slender, but she was not large either. Her waist was a little wide, her legs a little large, but it did not impact the way she looked much at all. Her grey eyes were bright and so very alive- perhaps that was why she didn't seem to fit in. Hogwarts was no longer a place brimming with life. It was dull and subdued, but this new teacher was quite the opposite. As for her manner, she was not calm or formal as many of the other staff members. She spoke to the class almost as though she were their peer, while still having a sense of authority about her. She was new and strange and intriguing, and I found myself looking forward to her lessons simply to see how she would run things.
  Today, Professor Rook- that's what she'd asked us to call her- told us we'd be doing some practical review. We would be relearning how to fights boggarts, because she thought that many of our greatest fears would have changed from Before. No one groaned or objected- we knew what she meant and we knew she was probably right.
  I got a strong sense of deja vu as everyone formed a line in the center of the room, facing a tall cabinet at the front. Unlike third year, however, this time I stood in line with the rest, swallowing thickly. Harry, who was standing behind me in line, seemed to sense my nervousness and whispered quietly in my ear, "You'll be fine. Remember, it's not real. It's just a boggart, and it can't hurt you or anyone else." I nodded shakily, only fractionally calmed by his words.
All too soon it was my turn, and I stood at the front of the line, terrified. What would the boggart turn into? My father? The Dark Lord? My mad Aunt Bella? Fiendfyre? My mother's corpse? So many possibilities ran through my head, but I didn't have much time to think as the cabinet burst open, revealing...
____________________________________

A/N: **Important note! If anyone would like to draw Took, that would be really cool, just saying.** Another chapter! I'll probably write another one today, but don't you just LOVE how this one ended? That was terrible of me. I can't wait to find out what happens next! Anywho, I hope everyone's enjoying this story. Expect a chapter sometime between an hour from now and three days from now. Somewhere in there.