Chapter Thirty Three: Safe

"You two, I want this bomb room locked down now!" Valerie shouted as soon as she saw the two troopers she put on guard

"You got it, ma-" One of the troopers was interrupted by one of the bombs going off, which had also got to Valerie, causing her to be knocked off her feet. "No..No!"

: Valerie! What's wrong?! What was that?! : She heard Ahsoka ask frantically over the comms as Valerie quickly got up and raced towards the others through the speedy cloud of the virus. She ran until she saw Ahsoka and the others who had saw the cloud, too.

"Run! Run to the safe room now!" Valerie shouted to them before they all started running. "Valerie! Hurry up! We're almost there!"

"I can't go!" Valerie shouted back to Ahsoka. "What?! What do you mean?!" Ahsoka asked while stopping.

"NO! Keep going!" Valerie screamed before she force pushed everyone into the safe room. "Valerie! No! Come on!"

"I can't! I can only save you guys from being infected! I'm sorry.." Was all Valerie said before the safe room doors had closed. The cloud of the virus had washed over Valerie and she had breathed out in relief, knowing that the others were safe. : Hello? Is anyone there? :

"Padmé! I'm here! Where are you?!" Valerie exclaimed as she looked around the hallways, spotting two B1 droids not too far down the hallway. : I'm near a greenhouse room. I was in it when the bomb went off. Jar Jar and I have protective suits on. :

"Okay, Ahsoka, Captain Rex, and the other troopers are in a safe room near complex B." Valerie said before she unveiled her lightsaber, slicing down both of the droids as they approached.

" Valerie said before she unveiled her lightsaber, slicing down both of the droids as they approached

: What about you? Where are you? :

Valerie's heart dropped, knowing that she would have to tell Padmé so she wouldn't be shocked when she found out. "Um.. Padmé, I'm..uh.."

: You're contaminated, aren't you? : When Valerie had went silent, it had confirmed what Padmé had believed. : How? :

"One of the levels below the command center was a test area, it started leaking up to the surface. I noticed my symptoms when my nose kept bleeding." Valerie said as she heard Padmé sigh. : Just stay where you are. Jar Jar and I are on our way. :

"Okay. I'm just outside of the safe room in complex B."

: On it. : The link ended before another beep was heard and it came from the communication panel on the safe door.

"Guys?"

: Val! What was that?! Why did you let yourself get infected?! : She immediately heard Ahsoka scream through the commlink as Valerie sighed. "I couldn't get you guys infected."

: And you thought by sacrificing yourself would be a better ide-?! :

"I WAS ALREADY INFECTED, AHSOKA!" Valerie screamed back at Ahsoka before tears began to pool from her eyes. She heard silence on the other side before Rex's voice came through.

: Blondie? How did you get infected before the bomb went off? :

"One of the levels was used as a test run, it started leaking up to the upper levels and I was in the command center when I was infected." Valerie explained as Rex sighed through his helmet. "I'm sorry, Rex. But I had to get you guys to safety so you won't be infected."

: Well, at least you tried. The doors malfunctioned so there's a crack where the virus can get in. : Valerie's eyes went wide as she looked at the doors. She tried to force push them together, but Rex was right. The doors are jammed. Valerie shook her head before tears began to well up in her eyes again.

 Valerie shook her head before tears began to well up in her eyes again

"Rex...I'm sorry."

: No need, Blondie. Have you found the Senator yet? : Rex asked as Valerie nodded. "Yes. She's on her way here with the Representative."

"Actually, she's already here." Valerie heard as she turned and quickly hugged Padmé when she saw her. "I'm glad you're here, but I got some bad news."

"What's wrong?" Padmé asked as I looked at the doors. "The doors are jammed, so the virus is leaking through." Padmé sighed before she shook her head.

"Well, if they're already infected, then we have no choice but to let them out." Padmé said as Valerie's eyes went wide. "But, Padmé-"

"We have to secure this lab from any droid opening it. And we're going to need them." Padmé said as Valerie shook her head. "I don't like this.."

: Senator Amidala? Are you out there? : Ahsoka called as Valerie and Padmé looked at the communication panel. "She's here, Ahsoka."

: Okay, we're going to try and open the doors. : Ahsoka said as Valerie sighed. The doors had lift slightly, but not enough for anyone to slip through. "Ahsoka, I'm going to cut a hole so you can get through."

: Do what you have to do, Blondie. : I heard Rex say as I nodded and used my lightsaber, creating a hole big enough for everyone to crawl through. When I did, I saw Ahsoka crawl through, then Rex, then the other troopers. Padmé helped Ahsoka up while I helped Rex up, then we helped the others to their feet.

"Okay, here's the situation, guys. There's still droids down here, they probably came from below. They're going to try and get to the surface. We can't allow that. Naboo and, basically, the entire galaxy depends on. We need to keep the virus down here from further contamination. Now, who's ready to shoot down some clankers?"

"We're with you, ma'am!" One of the troopers shouted as Valerie nodded with a smile. "Good. Let's get to work."