Chapter Forty Five: Important

"Knock, knock

"Knock, knock.."

Rex looked up from his lap and saw Valerie with a head popped through the door, a wide and bright smile on her face as she did.

"Hey. Come on in." Valerie made her way in, approaching Rex who was already moving over slightly to let her sit next to him. "How's the ankle?"

"Well, it was sprained. Kix said I'm going to be stuck here for a few weeks to let it heal."

"Aww..but that would mean I'll miss you on the field." Valerie said with a slight pout as Rex chuckled. "Yeah, well, I won't be out for long."

"I hope not because if you are, I will personally go find Kix and kill him myself." Valerie said as Rex laughed, wrapping his arm around her and kissing the top of her head.

"I love you, Blondie, but sometimes, you get a little cranky when it comes to me.." He joked with a smirk as Valerie fold her arms and playfully glared at him. "Hey, you would do the same! Don't act like you won't!"

"I never said that.." Valerie laughed, looking away as she did before she pulled herself together and looked back at Rex. "But, hey, I'm not leaving Coruscant anytime soon either because Master Skywalker and I have to meet with Senator Amidala in a little while. And plus, we gotta watch out for Ahsoka as well."

"What happened with her?" Rex asked as Valerie stood up from her spot next to him, wrapping her arms around him loosely. "Well, she's got a couple weeks of guard duty for the Holocron library."

"Ooo, sounds big." He said as Valerie shrugged her shoulders. "Eh, it's not too big, I mean, the holocrons do hold a list of all force sensitive children. But nobody really knows much about what it looks like or what's really in there but the Jedi Council."

"Well, it must be huge if you need a Jedi to do guard duty." Rex said, his hands snaking their way around the small of her back.

"Yeah. But when I did it, it was interesting. I got to meet a lot of Jedi that I never thought I would ever work with. And it also taught me how to not get into trouble." Valerie said with a laugh as Rex joined in with her. "And it also showed me how to be loved.. how to feel like I belong. Almost like how I am with you."

Rex sighed, pressing his lips gently against Valerie's. She smiled into the kiss, while running one of her hands over his blonde buzz cut.

"Um..excuse me?"

The two quickly pulled away, seeing Kix standing in the door with a smirk on his face. "Well, I guess love can be the cure for some wounds."

"Kix! We can explain all of this.."

"No need. I got my lips sealed tight. Nobody will suspect a thing." Kix said with a smile as Valerie and Rex looked at each other. "But, seriously, here in the medical bay?"

"Well, where else is there when you have a sprained ankle?" Rex said, gesturing his eyes to his ankle, which was wrapped with bandages.

"Good point. Well, you should be out of here no more than 2 weeks." Kix said while looking over his datapad. "Great! I will survive!"

"Of course you will. It's not like I'm on my deathbed over here!" Rex exclaimed while laughing. "Not helping, Rex!"

"Master Skywalker, Padmé, Chancellor Palpatine

"Master Skywalker, Padmé, Chancellor Palpatine." I greeted as I entered the Chancellor's quarters. "Valerie! Good to see you." Padmé said while I hugged her tightly.

"You too. So, what's the situation?" I asked as I turned to Master Skywalker and Chancellor Palpatine. "Well, we have word that there may be a Separatist conspiracy among the Senate and I requested you and Anakin to help Senator Amidala with this investigation personally."

"I'm ready to do what needs to be done, your excellence." I said as he smiled brightly. "Wonderful! You're right, General Skywalker. She is very ambitious."

"I appreciate the kind words, Chancellor, Master Skywalker. So, where do we start?"

"Well, we're going to have to wait till next week because we have a hearing for the next few days. The vote will be on more funding for the production of clones." Padmé said as I shook my head. "No doubt, nearly half the Senate would want that to happen. That's only going to bring more destruction to the galaxy. It's not really preventing it."

"I agree. Which is why I'm trying to get more votes on more funding for humanitarian needs." Padmé said as I smiled. "You always did have a heart for the needs of others."

"It's just my nature.." Padmé said with a smile. I nodded in agreement before I felt a sharp pain in my head. I hissed as I held my head, looking at Master Skywalker and Padmé. But when I did, all I saw was Chancellor Palpatine, but he looked different.

Instead of the gentle smile on his face, like he always had, he had a sinister grin on his face. And he was staring directly at me. "I know who you are, child.."

"What?"

"You can't hide from destiny, Darth Aknia." He said before I saw a hood appear over his face and two red lightsabers appear in his hands. "No! No, leave me alone! I don't want to be a Sith! Leave me alone!" I screamed falling backwards, instantly closing my eyes.

"Valerie!" I opened my eyes to see Master Skywalker, Padmé, and the Chancellor all looking at me with concern written all over their faces. "Are you okay?"

"I..I have to go. I'm sorry." I said shakily before I got up and ran from out of the Chancellor's quarters. I ran away until I felt I was far away. I don't know what happened back there. I don't know what I saw.

There was no way Chancellor Palpatine was a Sith. He seemed too kind for that. He didn't look like the type. I felt my mind was just playing tricks on me. That my father had something to do all of it.

I was so deep in thought that I didn't realize I bumped into someone until I did and fall flat on my back.

"Ow.." I mumbled and sat up, only to see Master Ord Enisence in front of me. "Oh! Master Enisence! I'm so sorry! I wasn't looking where I was going.."

"It's..okay, young one." He said slowly as I nodded. "Listen, it's been a while since I've been here. Can you remind me where the Holocron library is?"

"Um..of course! It's at the Jedi Temple. I'll take you there." I said as I gestured for him to follow me. However, something in the back of my mind was telling me something wasn't right.

Why would a Jedi ask where the Holocron library is if all the Jedi Council knows where it is? I shook my head, thinking the Jedi was just getting old and couldn't remember.