Chapter Fifty Four: Special

"No, but see, that's what really happened! He had tried to negotiate with Poggle the Lesser, but he ended up getting both of us chained to a pole with Obi-Wan

"No, but see, that's what really happened! He had tried to negotiate with Poggle the Lesser, but he ended up getting both of us chained to a pole with Obi-Wan." Padmé laughed out as Valerie jumped in, Rex chuckling softly while shaking his head at Anakin.

"How the heck did that happen?" Valerie asked through her fits of laughs while Anakin shook his head. "Let's just say, I tried to trade myself for Obi-Wan and well, it didn't go so well."

"Yeah, we ended up tied to a pole and we were almost eaten by blood thirsty creatures!" Padmé exclaimed while Valerie shook her head. "Well, Obi-Wan always taught me that negotiation is the Jedi way, I thought I was doing that!"

"Well, at least you weren't eaten, that's for sure." Valerie said while going back to eating. "Oh, Valerie! I understand that your birthday's tomorrow..?"

"Um..yes, Master. It is. I..um..it was Padmé's idea to celebrate it tonight since we have our mission tomorrow, then it's back to the game board after that." Valerie said with a small smile as Anakin nodded. "Oh, by the way, Rex, Valerie, when it's just us, you can call me Anakin."

"Sure thing, sir-uh-Anakin." Rex corrected, his eyebrow raised slightly when he let Anakin's name slip from his mouth. It sounded weird calling his General by his first name. He's so use to calling Anakin by sir or General.

"Well, Valerie, it's not much from us, but Ahsoka, Rex, and I had put this together for you." Anakin said while passing her a knitted bracelet. It was turquoise with hints of pink in it and blue ribbon, almost the same color as the color of the 501st's armor, wrapped around it. "You guys did this for me?"

"Well, it was Padmé's idea for the bracelet and it was Rex's idea for the blue since you are the Commander of the 501st.." Anakin began as Valerie began to shed tears, clutching the bracelet gently in her hand as she looked at Anakin then at Rex. "Thank you.."

"You're welcome. We know it hasn't been easy on you your entire childhood, but we wanted to make this for you. We wanted this to be special for you." Padmé said as Valerie looked at her. Valerie got up from her seat, hugging Padmé first, then Anakin before she got to Rex.

"Thank you so much, Rex. For everything." She mumbled, Rex smiling towards her as tears spilled from her eyes and down her cheeks. Rex stood from his seat, quickly throwing his large hands onto her cheeks and rubbing the tears away from her eyes. "Don't cry, mesh'la. There's no need to."

Valerie nodded, smiling up at him as he said those words. Before they could do anything, Anakin cleared his throat and the two looked to see Padmé giggling softly and Anakin was smirking at them. "You two must be enjoying yourselves."

Valerie hid her face into Rex's chest, her face blood red in embarrassment, while Rex cleared his throat and stuttered out an apology.

"You two are so cute together." Padmé said while resting her cheeks on her knuckles. "Alright, let me go get dessert. Um..Anakin, don't embarrass them, let them have their moment."

"Aww...but I like to see them stuttering.." Anakin whined, causing Padmé to roll his eyes. "Come on, Ani..leave the kids alone.."

"Fine.."

Anakin was practically dragged out of Padmé's quarters, leaving Valerie and Rex standing alone. Before Valerie could say a word, her lips were attacked by Rex's, his arms immediately wrapping around the small of her back, pulling her closer.

Valerie kissed back, her hands immediately finding themselves at Rex's blonde buzz cut. The two pulled away quickly, catching their breath as they did, and resting their foreheads together.

"I guess you missed me." Valerie joked, laughing softly, while Rex joined in. "I did. I missed you all day."

"The bracelet..I really do love it. Nobody's ever been this kind to me, until I met them. Until I met you." Valerie mumbled, Rex's forehead leaving hers and a kiss was soon replaced it. "Rex..when I turn 18...I..."

"You what?" Valerie was nervous to even ask this. She wasn't sure how he would react, she wasn't sure if he even knew. But she's been having these...feelings. Feelings for something more. But she didn't know how to ask.

"Valerie, what are you trying to ask?" Rex asked, grabbing her hand gently and holding it in comfort. Valerie bit her lip before she sighed. "Rex, when I turn 18 tomorrow, I...I want you..to be my first."

Rex's eyes went wide when he heard this. He knew exactly what she meant by 'her first'. And he had mixed feelings. Most of them would love to be her first love, but there was a part of him that was worried about the risks.

Valerie sensed his feelings and she squeezed his hand in comfort. "I'm not sure about this either, Rex. I'm not even sure if I'm ready for it. With all of the things I heard as a child about attachments..I Just.. don't want you to..hate me for asking. Please.."

"I could never hate you, Valerie. I love you too much for that." Rex said while stroking her cheek with his thumb. Valerie felt it in her heart he was telling the truth, but part of her felt like she was going too fast.

'Maybe we should wait till after the war. It might be over soon.' Valerie thought, but she must have said it out loud because Rex stroked her cheek once more. "It's your choice, Valerie. If you're ready, then we can do this together. If you aren't, I understand. I'm not going to force you to do anything you don't want to."