Chapter Forty Eight: Retrieve Pt. 2

Valerie stood inside the walker, holding onto the bars to keep herself steady as they were dropped from out of the cruiser and onto the frigate. She looked at Rex, smirking at him as she did.

"Let's play a game." She simply said while throwing on her helmet, causing Rex to raise his eyebrow under his helmet. "A game? Right now?"

"Right now."

"Okay. What do you want to play?" He asked in confusion as Valerie held onto her lightsaber. "The one to kills less droids has to treat the other to dinner."

"Heh, oh, I wished you hadn't have said that." Rex said while pulling out one of his blasters. "Oh, really? You think you can top me, Captain Rex?"

"I don't think, Commander Valerie. I know." Valerie glared playfully before the walkers landed on the frigate and the back doors opened. "Well, good luck! I'll be waiting for that dinner!"

Rex laughed through his helmet before Valerie ran out of the walker, immediately cutting down droids as she did. "Oh, and Rex? To be fair for both of us, we only count what we, ourselves, take down. Not based on our squad!"

"Oh, you're so going down!" Rex teased, before shooting down a droid that was coming up from behind her. She turned back before she looked back at Rex, shaking her head as she did. "Oh, Rexter, you may be a pain, but I still love you." She mumbled before she ran off to help Ahsoka and Anakin.

Just as she approached them, Valerie jumped up, planting her feet on top of the walker Ahsoka and Anakin were on and began to deflecting shots back to the droids that were firing at them.

"16, 17, 18, 19.." Valerie began counting while she took down the remaining droids that Anakin and Ahsoka didn't get. "What's with the counting?" Ahsoka asked as Valerie smirked at her.

"Let's just say Rex and I made a bet that whoever kills less droids has to treat the other to dinner." Valerie said while jumping from off the walker. "Oh, yeah. Rex is so going down."

"Aww, thanks, Ahsoka! See, this is why I love you!" Valerie said while hugging Ahsoka tightly. "Well, I, for one, am rooting for Rex."

Valerie and Ahsoka pulled away and glared playfully at Anakin, who stood behind them smirking, before they smirked at each other. "Oh, this just turned into a different board game. Hey Rex?!"

Rex turned around, away from the walker, to look at the teen. "The rules just changed. Time to tag team with Anakin! I'm with Ahsoka!"

"Wait..what?" Anakin asked in confusion as Valerie elbowed him. "Hey, you're the one rooting for Rex. Might as well team up with him."

"I like the idea!" Ahsoka said while using her lightsaber to cut a hole into the ship. "Alright, fine. Rex and I are on a team, you and Valerie are on a team. Happy?"

"Very, Master Skywalker." Valerie said with a smirk before she jumped through the hole, Ahsoka jumping in after her.

"Where did the Captain go?" A droid asked as it looked around the bounty hunter who had just abandoned them to protect the bridge. "He left us to defend the bridge."

"Us?" The doors opened and Ahsoka and Valerie rushed in, slashing at the droids standing near it before attacking the others.

"Ahsoka! I got these guys over here. You worry about them!" Valerie exclaimed while cutting down the remaining droids on her side. She was about to get the last droid when a blast was shot at it. She turned back to see Rex twirling his gun into his holster. "You need to watch your back, sweetheart."

"And you're any better?" She retorted before force pulling a droid that had snuck up behind him and smashed the droid's head with her bare fist. Rex jumped back a bit, startled by what she did, but also amazed by how she did it. Rex was lucky that his helmet was on because he blushed madly as Valerie ripped her fist out of the droid's head and tossed it to the ground.

"You missed one, sweetheart." Valerie teased as she walked past Rex, patting his pauldron before leaving him to meet up with Ahsoka. "Has R2 found Master Ropal yet?"

"Yes. They said he's in cell 6-D. We better head down there now." Ahsoka said while Valerie nodded. "Okay, Rex, on me!"

"You got it!"

Rex and I made our way towards the cell that Ahsoka said Master Ropal was in and I approached the door, opening it, hoping to see him alive and well.

But when I saw him lying dead on the ground, I screamed in horror while backing away from the door, throwing my hand over my mouth as I did.

"What's wrong?!" Rex asked while looking inside the cell. I slid down against the wall, shaking violently as I did, and covering my face with my hands. "It's okay, Blondie. It's okay."

I felt Rex's hands wrap around me and I quickly threw my arms around him, sobbing softly as I did. I didn't know Master Ropal that well, but he was a kind man. He helped with my training along with a few other younglings, and he even was patient enough with me when I was too traumatized to hold a practice stick.

"It's alright. I got you. We have to tell General Skywalker what we found." Rex said while rubbing my back. I sniffled before I pulled away, wiping my face as I did. "You're right."

The lights in the hallway went out and I looked around when they did. "What's going on?"

"The main power must have went out. We better get moving." Rex said while helping me to my feet. I nodded before we ran down the hallway to find the others.