Chapter 25 - 'To Borrow A Trick From An Old Friend.'

The woman sat on Wolfgang's bed was undoubtedly pretty, with brunette hair that fell in soft waves around her shoulders, almond shaped eyes the colour of honey and her dainty hands running over the silk bedsheets

The woman sat on Wolfgang's bed was undoubtedly pretty, with brunette hair that fell in soft waves around her shoulders, almond shaped eyes the colour of honey and her dainty hands running over the silk bedsheets. Wolfgang, however, looked not at her but at a painting of a auburn-haired beauty, a glass of whiskey in his hand as his eyes remained fixed upon the painting.

The brunette leaned forwards as the Nachtstern glanced back at her before downing his drink and standing to his feet. Wolfgang shrugged off his dark suit jacket and placed it over the back of the armchair, facing the woman sat on his bed, his hazel-brown eyes unexpressive and cold.

"So, what was it that convinced a guy like you to go for a girl like me?" The vampire asked as Wolfgang unbuttoned his shirt, his eyes filled solely with the image of Hope sitting on his bed, that infuriating smirk on her face as she called him to bed. Wolfgang paused, his shirt halfway off his shoulders as the hunter let out a sigh.

"You remind me of someone." Wolfgang said softly, "Fierce, intelligent, headstrong. You're a masterpiece, waiting to be worshipped."

The hunter shook his head, the moment of vulnerability dispelled, "I assume you've spent the centuries perfecting those parts of yourself."

"Centuries?" The vampire asked carefully, her eyebrow raised. Wolfgang bit his tongue. Physically, the brunette couldn't have been further from Hope, but their mannerisms were the same, and Wolfgang had chosen her for that specific reason. Wolfgang shook his head, fully taking off his shirt, "You're a vampire."

"I'm assuming you are too?" The woman in question replied and Wolfgang nodded as she stood up. The hunter let out a sigh, turning back to the portrait of Hope with a profound sadness in his eyes. Wolfgang let out a sigh, running a hand through his dark hair.

In the months since Hope had disappeared - Wolfgang refused to use any other term - he had grown it out, the long strands reaching his chin rather than just below his eye.

The brunette attempted to place her hands on Wolfgang's chest, her lips hovering above his clavicle but the hunter grabbed her hands, stopping her. Wolfgang's hazel eyes were alight with fury, no woman after Hope had touched him and the Nachtstern wouldn't allow that fact to change.

"That's not what we're doing." The Nachtstern vampire stated, his voice devoid of emotion. The brunette frowned and Wolfgang understood her confusion. He had never given her any indication that they weren't having sex, but Wolfgang had selected her for a very different purpose.

"Then why am I here?" The vampire asked, "And why did you take your shirt off?"

Wolfgang smiled, his smirk not reaching his eyes as he hid his emotions. It was a mask he had crafted perfectly, and he wore it without effort as he regarded the brunette with a predatory look in his eyes. Wolfgang felt the urge to feed rise in him, an animalistic instinct that dominated all others.