Chapter 13 - 'You Are Devilishly Cunning.'

Wolfgang smiled as he held the blowtorch to the Necromancer's groin. The monster let out a cry and Wolfgang burned his face.

"Such disrespect." The Necromancer said as Wolfgang placed the blowtorch back on the tray, "It's useless. I'm unkillable."

"You're not special in that regard." Wolfgang replied, as he lifted up a knife, testing the point. The Necromancer laughed and Wolfgang turned to him.

"There is a strong stench of death about you." The Necromancer commented and Wolfgang narrowed his eyes at him, "Many people you love have died, usually because of you."

Wolfgang was about to try and kill him when he was interrupted by Alaric and Hope walking in.

"Sweetheart, I don't think you should be here." Wolfgang said to Hope and the tribrid shook her head. The Necromancer watched the two curiously before he laughed.

"What he means is that he doesn't want you to see him like this." The Necromancer said and Wolfgang stabbed the knife into his shoulder, "How's that feel?"

"I think the two of you should leave, I'll take it from here." Alaric said and Wolfgang nodded. He walked off with Hope trailing behind him.

**********

Hope compiled the list of books in the library and handed the pile to Wolfgang, who took them curiously.

"So you're just going to make him read?" Wolfgang asked and Hope nodded, placing another book on top, "Psychological warfare. Break his mind and then he answers my questions."

"You are devilishly cunning." Wolfgang said as he placed the pile of books on the table. It was something that he would do, "Honestly, it's rather refreshing, darling."

"Well, if the whole 'break his mind' thing doesn't work, I'm just going to do a head dive." Hope continued. Wolfgang shook his head and stepped forwards to block the tribrid.

"I can't let you do that, love." Wolfgang said and Hope nodded before she crossed her arms.

"I know." Hope replied before she held up her hand and closed it into a fist, knocking Wolfgang unconscious, "Ad somnum."

Los Angeles, 2019 -

Wolfgang sat on the ground, nursing a bottle of whiskey. The door opened but Wolfgang didn't look up. There was no point.

"Oh, Wolf, what did you do?" Charlotte asked and Wolfgang looked at the carnage around him. Upwards of sixty people had been slaughtered, torn apart as though by animals. The floor was soaked in blood, so much so that you had to watch your step so as not to slip in it.

"I just.... Feel so empty." Wolfgang replied, as though he was speaking to himself, "They didn't just take the black magic, they killed my witch half."

Wolfgang held up his hand and stared at it as if it belonged to a stranger. He shook his head, closing his eyes as he took a deep sip of whiskey.

"I could never use the magic but knowing it was there, it was comforting. And now I've lost that." Wolfgang continued. Charlotte shook her head and pulled him to his feet.

"It will get easier, you can get better." Charlotte assured him but Wolfgang shook his head.

"No, it won't." Wolfgang countered, "Because you were right, this is my fault. Now, you can't even look at me, and I can't look you in the eye without reminding myself of what I took from you."