chapter five

Dougie gets back at about half past five, half an hour after he left for the shop. He bought three tests and some chocolate for us. He hands over the tests, smiling widely, and I go to the bathroom. I follow each instruction carefully and pee on the sticks. After I've done all three and given them a shake, I put them on the side and let Dougie in. He puts his arms around my waist and then we sit on the toilet lid, me on Dougie's lap and we talk about the future. After five minutes, I check all the tests. I look at them for a while, letting it all sink in, then I give them to Dougie. He looks at the tests and then at me. He smiles. "Oh my god, Amy! We're gonna be parents! This is amazing!!" We smile at eachother and the embrace. Dougie picks me up and spins me around, my brown hair flying out behind me. We smile into a kiss, happiness filling our hearts. For the rest of the day, we sit on the sofa, snuggled together watching Disney films. We both drink hot chocolate and can't stop kissing. The news is still so new to us. At about six, we decide to visit Dougie's mum, Sam and his sister Jazzie. We knock on the door and wait for Sam to answer. The door opens and she invites us in, asking about our smiles. "Is Jazzie here?" Doug asks. "Yeah, why?" Sam replies. "Family meeting in the living room!" We say excitedly. "Jazzie! Doug and Amy are here! They want a family meeting in the living room, now." She yells. We hear a stomp as she hurries downstairs and we all sit on the leather sofas. Dougie and I stand up after saying hi to Jazzie and the two women look at us. "So, you know that we are engaged." I say followed by nods. "Well we have even more good news!..." Sam and Jazzie lean forwards and I look up to Dougie and give him a nod so he knows he is telling them. "We're having a baby!" He announces. We look towards them to see Sam and Jazzie smiling. They come and give us a massive hug and give their congratulations. Dougie and I spend the rest of the day there and leave at about nine. We decide to call my parents who live in Australia, and tell them the good news. Ring. Ring. Ring. We begin to loose hope and as we go to hang up, my mum picks up. "Hey baby! How are you?" My mum asks. "We're good! Are we on speaker?" I check "Always." I giggle and then speak. "Well me and Doug have some more great news..." I begin.

"Go on then! Why are you keeping us in suspense?" My parents say. Dougie and I look at eachother and nod. We yell down the line "We're having a baby!". Gasps come down the line and my dad speaks. "That's fab, guys, amazing! When did you find out?" "Only today." Doug replies. "Have you seen the doctor yet, honey?" Says mum. "No. We're going tomorrow. " "Okay. Well, we'd better go. Thanks for calling us! Love you" "Love you too, mum." And then they hang up.