Chapter Nine

Robert's POV

I woke up filled with absolute glee. I woke up grinning from ear-to-ear. I woke up feeling like there wasn't a thing in this world that could bring me down.

Yesterday, I sat and listened to Jerry McQueen scream over the phone at my adversary. He'd been mean. He'd used cuss words. He'd threatened to get him fired.

It was amazing.

I hummed to myself as I showered and made a coffee. I used my hairbrush as a microphone and belted out some Ed Sheeran. I waved to my neighbors as I grabbed the mail.

I called Aidan and smiled wide when he answered. "You're one of my closest friends," I told him. "Best friend, debatably."

He didn't respond positively. Actually, he gave a defeated sigh. "...Okay, you're still in that mood. Got it. You know, Adam wasn't actually a real threat, right?"

"It felt so good to watch Jerry scream at that scumbag," I sighed. I sat back, closed my eyes, and recalled the scene. "Did you notice how hot he is when he's pissed?"

"No, I didn't. Why are you calling me? I haven't even had caffeine yet."

Why was I calling Aidan? Oh right, there actually was a reason. "Well, I wanted to relive that moment with you. But also, make sure you and your sweet boy come to the club tonight. I have to bounce some ideas off of you."

"Alright, we'll be there."

"Thank you, you're great," I gushed. "Tell Finn I said good morning. No, scratch that— tell him I say great morning."

"...I'm hanging up now."

I left my house humming and sang along to the radio until I reached Home Depot. Usually I felt mild irritation when I entered the store, but today I was all smiles.

I didn't really like my second job, but it was necessary. Not necessary for the money— I had more than enough money, with my father's inheritance and the club. But it was necessary to keep me busy.

If I was bored, I made drastic and terrible financial decisions.

Like redesigning a club that already makes plenty of money?

The world may never know.

Halfway through a shift of smiling so much it was starting to creep people out, my phone started buzzing relentlessly in my pocket. Feeling a little guilty that I'd left it on during work, I ducked into the bathroom to turn it off.

Except that it was Jerry calling.

I answered without even thinking about it. "Jeremy? What's going on? You don't usually call me first."

"Where are you at this exact moment in time?" Jerry asked, and I couldn't help but grin.

He was so needy. Even when he screeched and complained about how I was always breathing down his neck, he'd always reach out if he hadn't heard anything from me in a while.

"Work," I said, trying to kill my goofy grin. If I were ever lucky enough to be a Dom to this boy, I'd have to learn not to smile at the sound of his voice alone.

"The club already?" he asked. "I guess I can get there in—"

"No, the other job. Home Depot," I corrected, making him groan. "Why?"

"I need your help," he whispered. "Wait— let me hide in the bathroom really quickly. Finn is asleep, but part of me is suspicious that he might wake up and hear."

Instantly, I was on high-alert. "Are you okay? You can tell me anything. If you need me, I'll tell my boss and be right there."

"No, chill!" Faintly, a door clicked shut and locked. Jerry whispered, "Here's the cold hard truth. I'm scared of phone calls."