𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐈

"Come on! Pass the ball!" the children excitedly yelled as I picked up the large fabric ball and I threw it towards them. Uncontrollable giggles left their mouths when they chased after it and I shook my head at their silly behaviour. I watched as they passed the ball to each other but I couldn't help but frown.

After many years of waiting to come of age, the day had finally arrived for me to leave my home Ocerallia and go to the Kingdom of Cadeiric for my marriage to the Crown Prince.

My father had unexpectedly died just after my third birthday and a week later it was decided that I would be crowned Queen. Being as I was still too young to take the throne, my mother, Queen Eleanor, ruled over the kingdom until I turned sixteen.

On my sixth birthday, she came to terms with the King and Queen of Cadeiric and agreed to a marriage between their youngest son and I. It was crucial for us to secure an alliance as quickly as possible because of threatening realms who had tried for years to get their hands on my throne.

Now at the age of eighteen, I took my rightful place as Queen which put an end to my enemies schemes for a while.

All enemies except one.

Keit was a kingdom not that far from here and one of the wealthiest alongside my own and Cadeirics. Its King, however, had a lust for power and had targeted Ocerallia for as long as I could remember. There had been countless times where he had pulled some kind of stunt against us but Cadeiric was always there to help. Hopefully, as soon as the Prince would be crowned King and I would become Queen consort, Keit would stop taunting us.

"Sophia!" I then heard my mother call so I turned around to see her strolling over with Anne skipping along behind her. "There you are! I've been looking for you everywhere!"

Anne was my eleven-year-old cousin, whom my mother had taken in as one of her own after her mother and father had been tragically killed when she was only an infant. Even if she was now an orphan, she still had a rightful heir to my throne.

"Oh, I was actually on my way to check if Shadow was all tacked up but I got distracted." I laughed going over to them. "What did you need me for?"

"Well, Shadow is indeed tacked up and I ordered the servants to put your trunks in the carriage. I just wanted to let you know." my mother replied whilst patting down Anne's messy hair. "But how are you feeling?"

"Nervous." I huffed crossing my arms against my chest and she gave me a sympathetic look. "I feel that I'm going to make a fool of myself."

"You won't, dear. You have already met Cadeirics royal family and you know that they are looking forward to seeing you again," she assured me. "Besides, you will have Mari, Clara and Louise by your side will you not?" she said and I let out a sigh.

"Yes, I suppose," I said, managing a smile.

The three girls had been my closest friends since childhood and even if we didn't see each other that much, we always wrote to each other. It also saddened me that I would be leaving everything behind and that I was going to start a new life with strangers but I didn't exactly have a choice. I had to do this for my kingdom.

--

A few moments later I was standing in front of a mirror, changed into a light blue dress and a red velvet cloak over my shoulders. I began humming to myself as I ran the brush through my brown curly hair when Anne skipped inside and took a seat on the edge of the bed.

"I don't want you to go," she cried out, placing her hands beneath her knees. "I won't have any company!" she pouted and I burst out into a laugh. Despite our age difference, we were quite inseparable and simply adored each other, to the point where we would even consider ourselves sisters!

"Nonsense, you have many friends here and you know that," I said picking up the small container with the eyeshadow to darken my hazel coloured eyes. I then dipped my finger in one of the pink pots, dabbed it on the back of my hand before applying it to my full lips and I turned around to face her.

"I know." she let out a heavy sigh. "But it won't be the same. You're going to live in a different kingdom with a Prince!"

"Yes, but I'm sure you can come and visit sometimes," I said watching as she dipped her head sadly so I went over and kneeled in front of her. "You know this is just as hard for me as it is for you but everything is at stake here and I have to marry." I raised her chin gently and she slowly nodded.

I spotted my mother from the corner of my eye at the doorway so I stood up straight and picked up the rhinestoned headband that was just beside my cousin and I propped it on my head.

"Beautiful!" she exclaimed with a grin. "You best be going-"

"Your Majesties!" a maid suddenly appeared beside my mother, almost out of breath. "My apologies for interrupting but one of the guards just said that he just spotted two guards from Keit in the forest!" she panted, causing my mother and I to exchange a look of alarm.

"What! Are they still there?"

"No, your Grace. They fled once they realised that someone had seen them!"

"They're probably on their way back to Keit to tell their King...Sophia, you need to leave now." my mother seriously said. "It will take them a while to get there but you can't risk meeting them on the way to Cadeiric." she sighed, politely motioning for the maid to leave us and I nodded. "Good, now hurry. Your carriage is already waiting."

I then ran around my chambers, grabbing a few last-minute things before we all rushed outside. Surprisingly, I was met with all the people that lived at our castle that were gathered in the courtyard and were anxiously awaiting.

Word that Keits guards were near had already spread around and the people were just as worried as I was. Keit probably knew that I would be leaving for Cadeiric today so it wouldn't have been at all surprising if they tried to ambush my carriage.

As we walked past everyone, I spotted four guards waiting on horseback, and in front stood Shadow, my own beautiful black Friesian who was aggressively biting on the uncomfortable bit in his mouth.

"Now, I want you to know." my mother paused as she took hold of my shoulders. "Cadeiric traditions and beliefs differ to ours so be warned."

"Yes, but what if they don't accept me there?" I asked with a doubtful look.

"Well, they did when you were a child so why wouldn't they now?" she said and I cocked an eyebrow admittedly. "Just don't forget that as Queen you still have a say in things...You will be fine, darling." she leaned in and pressed her lips to my forehead and I gave her a smile.

I always tried to be a passionate and headstrong monarch as well as a good Queen to my people. They knew the lengths I would go to protect them and my family which is why they all put their trust in me. It was a big responsibility but its what made my character.

"But what if Keit finds Sophia's carriage!" Anne wailed, her eyebrows furrowed in worry.

"They won't. I don't think they will risk it." I assured her even if deep down I was still concerned. "Don't worry about me. Take care of yourself and I mean that." I said, snaking my arm around her.

"I will." she nodded. "Please don't forget to write and tell me everything!"

"Of course not! Just as long as you don't either." I pinched her nose, causing her to giggle. "I suppose we will see each other soon then." I breathed, causing the two to bring me into a tight hug.

"Yes, travel safely, dear." my mother said giving me another kiss before we pulled away. I then waved around to everyone before I climbed into the carriage and sat down, silently praying that I wouldn't encounter any of Keits guards along the way...

———————————————————————

Hey!

So I decided to completely scrap the first few chapters and start again so if you're reading this now, this is the edited version!

This fanfiction takes a while to get into but hopefully, with all the editing, it will be much more interesting! I hope you stick around to read on and give me feedback. I would really appreciate it!