𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐕

"You do realise your mother won't be pleased with these news?" James asked again, earning another eye roll from me.

"Yes James, I do acknowledge that." I mumbled looking up at him. "But the King does not wish to help us. Believe me, I'm just as frustrated as you are."

It was only an hour after the King declined my request but James and I were currently sitting in my chambers, in some hopes of coming up with a strategy that would be of help to us.

I was still fuming at Andrews decision, neither was I able to understand why he decided to just leave us hanging like this. His move just showed cowardliness.

"This isn't how alliances should act. We should always be in assistance for each other. This is the first time it's happened but what about the near future? Will Cadeiric be at you side?" he got up and strolled over. "Sophia, if this continues, you're going to have to abandon this alliance." he sighed and my eyes widened in an instant.

"What?"

"You were sent here to protect yourself and your kingdom from enemies, but if Cadeiric isn't capable of doing that, you're going to have to look elsewhere. We can't risk putting a whole kingdom in danger just because some fancy, handsome Prince isn't willing to help you or marry you for that matter." he snarled.

"May I remind you that he is willing to do both, actually. It is not his fault that his father doesn't see it the same way." I spat, my eyebrows furrowing crossly.

"Then the Prince should find a way to somehow convince him! It is his duty! If I was in his place, you would be my-"

"James, what is this behaviour? I know he is doing his very best and he does not deserve to be slandered on like this." I threw my book to the side and got up in annoyance.

Usually, I wouldn't have gotten this defensive over Luke but now with these new overwhelming emotions I was feeling, I could not control it.

"He simply can't be doing his very best if he hasn't gotten through to his own father yet!"

"For heavens sake, is there something wrong between you two? I can't help but notice the way you glare at him; as if you want to rip his head off!"

"I'm sure he would love to the do the same." he huffed, grabbing his cloak and throwing it over his shoulders. "My carriage leaves tonight but I must go speak with the Queen about some things your mother has inquired about." he changed the subject and before I could even find the chance to answer, he walked out and slammed the door shut.

I let out a groan, my hand reaching up to rub my forehead. I found it logical for him for him to worry about the situation but now he was simply overreacting. Then again, he did tend to be quite harsh and snappy every once in a while but his emotions were clouded with anger towards Luke, surprisingly enough.

Maybe in some way James did have a point about looking elsewhere for an alliance but that was clearly something I did not want to do. Even if I did find elsewhere I would still have Keit pressuring me. They didn't want me to form an alliance with anyone but them.

I hadn't a clue where all of this would lead to. I had made my decision but Edmund insisted on giving me three months to think about it again.

It was all going according to his plan; I had three months to make a final decision whilst he in the meantime, would proceed to send out warnings until I would finally accept. He'd have it his way one way or another.

Later that night, I was informed that the King was hosting some entertainments down in the Great Hall and even though I wasn't exactly in a mood, I'd have to make an appearance for a while.