𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

"Easy!" I called, tugging on the reins hard to pull my cantering horse to an abrupt stop. "There we go." reaching down, I patted Shadow's sweaty neck as he flared his nostrils madly.

I then swung my leg off the saddle, jumped down and took hold of Shadow's bridle before leading him over to the lake for a drink. I loosened my grip as he lowered his head and eagerly began to swallow down the refreshing water and after I gave him a scratch, I looked up and let out a sigh.

Today I had decided to spend my morning away from the castle in hopes to get away from well, everyone. The last few days had been so tiring and messy that I desperately needed to leave the castle grounds for some fresh air...

Even though all guests from Ben's and Nicole's wedding had now gone back to their kingdoms and they had left for their honeymoon, there was still a lot of commotion stirring up inside the castle's walls. King Andrew was constantly reminding us to be cautious and wary of the people we were mixing with, thus why he even ordered guards to follow us about almost everywhere. I understood his concern of course, but it all became very exhausting.

Not only that, but I also had Luke and Jack being a nuisance and giving me a headache! Jack had developed a habit of making fun of me for no particular reason and Luke didn't hesitate to join in. I knew they were probably just trying to get away from their father just as much as I was but I found Luke's behaviour peculiar, considering he refused to converse with me since the meeting.

I didn't know what to make out of it.

My attention was then drawn to a few ducks that were gliding on the crystal clear waters and I soon forgot about whatever I had on my mind. Being out here in the fields was far more peaceful than being stuck in a building and having to listen to everyone's warnings. I was quite glad I was able to escape!

Once Shadow finished, I led him over to one of the trees and he immediately dipped his head and started to graze on the blades of grass whilst I sat down against the trunk and leaned my head back.

I couldn't help but yawn as the minutes passed but just as my eyes fluttered closed, I was pushed over and I fell to my side and I blinked around in surprise.

"Shadow!" I wailed, sitting back up and pushing his head away from me, only for him to step closer and proceed to rub his head against my side. "You're so impatient!" I laughed, getting to my feet and he shook his mane about as if he was replying. "I suppose you've been out long enough," I muttered, placing my hands on my hips and silently praying that Andrew wasn't going to start blabbering on when we got back.

After a half-hour walk, I was finally walking the stallion towards the stables and just as I stepped inside, one of the stablehands took him off me and led him over to his stable.

"You know, you could have invited me along on your ride rather than leaving me here to tolerate with my father." I turned round to see Luke just opposite, leaning on the stable that belonged to Duke, Calum's horse. "Or were you just looking to get away from me instead?" he smirked, crossing his arms against his chest.

"You're more clever than you look." I returned a smug smile as I made my way over to his towering figure and he cocked a brow. "I'm only having you on."

"Are you trying to get me back for what I said to you yesterday, your Grace?" he chuckled and I gave him a small nod which made him smile. "It seems that my own and Jack's behaviour is rubbing off on you."

"Indeed." I laughed, rolling my eyes. 

"Well, before you start calling me more names, I would like to talk to you in private," he said, pulling himself off the wall and I frowned. "Come on, walk with me." he jerked his head to the side, beckoning me to follow him so with a slow nod, we walked out into the sunlight alongside each other.