𝐄𝐩𝐢𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

The sound of bells ringing in the distance met my ears and I headed over to the window, looking out to where people were hurriedly making their way into the castle and I let out a sigh. I then turned around and was faced with a white dress sitting on a mannequin and two maids carefully sewing a veil to a jewelled headband.

My heart sank as I watched them, knowing that the day I had been dreading had finally arrived.

My wedding day.

I had sent word to Edmund, two months ago today, regarding his offer for my hand in marriage and he was most pleased to find I had finally agreed. We met a week later, where I strictly told him my terms and that he wasn't to harm anyone, especially Luke. I had half a mind of arguing with him about all the horrible things he had done but it would have been pointless to bring it up now that he had given me his word. Edmund might have been a greedy man but he wasn't a liar, so I chose to trust him on this one.

When my mother learned of Edmund's plan, she visited Cadeiric as soon as possible and tried to talk me out of it, just like everyone had. She was putting me under too much pressure so I ended up telling her that an alliance with Keit would prove beneficial for our people back in Cadeiric and she was quick to agree.

Trying to avoid Luke's persuasive words, however, was the hardest part of all. There were so many times that he was so close to changing my mind but I always somehow managed to get myself thinking straight again so I wouldn't get carried away...

We cherished each second of the days we had left together whilst the nights were spent in each other's arms, crying away to almost everything. This was tearing the both of us apart and even if we showed it, we hated to admit it.

I thought back to when I had chosen to be his friend at the beginning, but falling in love with him was completely out of my control. Now, I realised how much I truly loved him and the feeling of losing him made me feel sick and empty...

One of the maids then spoke loudly to snap me out my thoughts, saying that I was soon expected by Edmund and his guests so I silently went over to change into my dress, feeling too dishearted to say another word.

A few minutes later, I was walking towards the throne room with a small bouquet in my sweaty hands and earning comforting words from Louise and Mari. I couldn't even explain the emotions I was feeling but all I knew was that I couldn't believe this was actually happening.

I was going to marry a man who has been an enemy to Ocerallia and my people for years...

Of course, Edmund was proud of himself for achieving what he wanted and he didn't hesitate in boasting about how he would be ruling over Ocerallia. I had no interest in ruling over Keit whatsoever as the sacrifices I had already made brought me no joy for what was to happen when I would be crowned Queen.

I suddenly came to a stop as the throne rooms doors were opened and I uneasily glanced around at all the people that were standing on each side of the aisle. Familiar and unfamiliar faces gasped as I slowly walked past them, and I avoided my gaze with Edmund, who was standing in front of the thrones with a huge smirk plastered on him.

I was surprised by the smile he gave me as I reached him before we got down on our knees and leaned on a cushion each and watched as a priest beckoned an elderly man over. He carried a large book in one hand and a quill in the other and he opened it to a page where a few names and signatures were written all over.

I breathed in as Edmund took the quill and neatly signed his name at the bottom of the page before he handed it to me and I gulped.

If I was to sign, then that was it.