𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈

The next day, I was up and dashing about in the kitchens even if the sun hadn't even started to rise yet. The excitement and joy I was feeling had been hard to contain, causing me to hardly get any shut eye. Yet how could I care when I felt as if I was the happiest person in the whole kingdom?

I was currently making myself some breakfast before the cooks would arrive but every few seconds, I'd have to stop what I was doing and blankly stare ahead, clearly distracted.

Whenever I would just think about last nights events and conversation between Luke and I, I'd have to take a deep breath and try to convince myself that what happened was real and not some sort of dream or my imagination.

I just couldn't believe that I actually picked up the courage to tell him how I really felt. Nevertheless, he was just as shocked as I was.

We must have stayed down by the lake for at least another half hour but if anything, we didn't actually talk about that subject any longer. We had both suddenly become so shy and nervous that we didn't even know what to say next. Thankfully, it wasn't the slightest bit awkward.

I then carefully opened a jam jar and thickly spread it on a slice of bread before grabbing a handkerchief and wrapping it inside.

I quietly cleared up the mess and then walked out, deciding to go sit outside as I didn't have  anything else to do at this time anyways.

As soon as I stepped out the front doors, I shivered from the damp air, but proceeded to head down to the lake, sitting myself down at where Luke and I were last night.

I looked round, the image of us both just sitting inches away from each other appearing again in my head and I couldn't help but smile. At that moment, everything felt like it had been put right and that I didn't have anything to worry about any more.

Reality was, however, that I was very worried about Edmunds offer for his hand in marriage. It seemed that now I had confessed to Luke, I took Edmunds proposal a lot more seriously.

The thought made me feel sick in the stomach, knowing that I'd have to work this out and tell Luke soon which I did fear for.

I really did not want to marry anyone associated with Keit but at the same time, Luke had mentioned that his father was capable of changing this alliance, meaning I wouldn't have a choice. Even worse, I would not even be able to marry the man whom I had suddenly fallen for.

"Why on earth are you out here at this time of morning? It's freezing!" my head shot up at Luke who was making his way towards me and my heart already began to race.

"No, it's not." I laughed, giving him a dramatic eye roll. "Besides, I could ask you the same thing."

"I came looking for you." he broke into a laugh as he stopped. "I'm guessing you couldn't sleep either?" he asked, not hesitating to take a seat beside me.

"No, I've been a bit too excited." I said, bringing my knees up and wrapping my arms around them.

"Me too." he smiled, scooting much closer to me now. "Although I did go and see how Jack was coping."

"Oh yes, how is he?"

Last time I had seen Jack was just before I headed up to bed and he was actually awake at that time. He was in a world of his own but at least he had a bit more energy.

"He's a lot better actually but he needs a lot of rest. He will be fine in the next few days. You should have seen how relieved my mother was; and here I thought that I was her favourite!" he joked which made me nudge his sides with my elbow playfully.