𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈

"Are you sure you're alright? You've been acting very odd these days." Louise questioned, setting down her pencil and she came over to where I was sitting on the window sill.

The days after King Edmunds birthday party were the most terrifying and confusing. So many things were on my mind and I struggled to go a day with a clear head.

I just couldn't believe Edmund had threatened me that and had even proposed! At first, I didn't want to believe his words but as the days passed, I seemed to have changed my mind. Edmund was cruel and he would stop at nothing until he was satisfied.

I couldn't bare the thought of him going ahead and doing that horrible thing to Luke. It was too much for me to handle, considering that Luke would now cross my mind every minute of every day.

Besides Edmund, all I could think about was that damned kiss. The way Lukes soft lips gently pressed against my own, causing that spark to ignite and send a strange tingling sensation all over my body.

I shivered at the thought.

Each time I imagined it, I would simply wish that moment had lasted longer. Yet even if it did, it was still just a distraction. It probably meant nothing to Luke but to me, it surprisingly did.

I tried to shrug it off for the time being as I had more important things to worry about. Edmund now knew my weaknesses and he would use that to his advantage.

I did , however, keep all of this information to myself, not even telling my ladies. It was something I had to sort out myself without putting anyone else in danger and I was convinced Edmund knew that too.

"Yes, I'm just a little bit tired." I lied, giving her a small smile. "There's just been a few things on my mind lately."

"Really? Like the Prince perhaps?" she asked with a laugh as she took a seat opposite me and I grabbed a pillow and hit her side with it playfully, causing her to laugh again.

She was just about to grab the pillow and return the hit when the door was suddenly flung open and surprisingly, James stepped inside with the most visible fretful look.

"James? What are you doing here?" I asked getting up. "Whatever is the matter?" I walked over to him where he cleared his throat politely, his eyes on Louise. "Leave us please."

"I come with news of an attack in Ocerallia. Keits armies ambushed our borders hours earlier." he quickly said once Louise had left and I looked at him in astonishment.

"What? Has my mother sent our soldiers?"

"She has but the number needed is not enough." he sighed, taking a seat. "Your mother rushed me here to inform you that we need help."

"Our strongest ally is Cadeiric. King Andrew will help us-" I quickly said, but the confidence in my voice made him scoff.

"He has already been asked and is slow in giving a reply.Is your marriage with the Prince not secure? If our positions were reversed, we would help!" he almost yelled making me jump.

"It is secure James but I do not know why Andrew hasn't come to our aid. I'll go talk to him immediately." I huffed, before I rushed out the door, biting down on my lip hard.

A sickening feeling was quick to rise within me as I realised this was Kets way of revenge because I declined Edmunds proposal. If they continued with attacks, they'd get me to accept one way, or another.

I stormed into the throne room, stopping, however, once I spotted the Kings counsellors, himself and Luke, all stood round a table.

"Queen Sophia." Andrew exclaimed, making everyone's head shoot up. I remained silent and stared at the men and once he realised, he ordered them out. "We were just discussing the situation in Ocerallia. You have my sympathy." he said, pushing his cloak back as he came over with Luke following.