𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

I was suddenly woken by a stinging sensation and my eyes shot open. I rolled them round, blinking down at the bed I was lying on until I spotted a white cloth with a red patch wrapped around my belly and I sat up with a fright.

The last and only thing I could remember was Luke catching my body before everything turned pitch black.

I then picked on the cloth, lifting it up to reveal a very bloody wound above my hip and I flinched as I gently ran my finger against it. It was a very deep cut, but fortunately enough, it was only a slash.

Then I remembered.

Alice.

She had been aiming for my stomach to simply let me bleed to death but in my attempt to run out the door, she only managed to bring the blade in contact with my skin and nothing more thankfully.

I then looked round the unfamiliar room I was in, squinting my eyes as a faint memory appeared in my head. I recognised the silver crown that was set on top of a cushion but just as I was about to suspect who it belonged to, the door was quietly opened and Luke stepped in.

"Finally!" he breathed out, shutting the door and he quickly came over.  "I was so worried!" he gasped, furrowing his eyebrows to form a crease between them. "How are you feeling?"

"Strange." I mumbled reaching up to rub my eyes. "Luke, what exactly happened?" I asked as he took a seat beside me. "And where am I?"

"You fainted after that maid attacked you last night. The doctor attended to your wound but he said you need rest." he said, staring at my bandage. "Also, you're in my chambers. I was not going to let you out of my sight so I told the doctor to bring you in here."

"I was out all night?" I groaned which made him laugh a little bit. "But where is Alice? I must speak with her." I said, throwing the duvet back but Luke stopped me from getting up.

"That won't be possible." he said shaking his head and I cocked a brow. "My father has already questioned her and she has been accused of treason in trying to murder a member of the royal family."

"She's dead?" I asked with a gulp and he nodded.

"He's also questioned every other maid and servant in this castle and is giving them until tonight to confess about the other spies. If they don't, they'll face the consequences ." he continued, now taking hold of my hand. "But I need you to know that my father has decided to keep this whole thing to ourselves. We won't tell Edmund; he can find out himself. That way he'll know that we've figured out his weak plan."

"I can agree to that." I sighed, reaching over for the cup of water but Luke quickly got up and handed it to me. "Thank you."

"I don't think I've ever been that scared in my whole life." he then thoughtfully said, staring ahead at the wall. "I'm just so glad that you're alright."

"It's going to take more than just a slash to kill me, Luke." I managed a laugh which made him smile.

"I don't doubt that." his deep dimple appeared now as he squeezed on my hand. "I'll go tell the doctor that you're awake and then I'll come sit with you more." he said,  bringing my hand to his lips before he got up and walked out the room.

During Lukes surprisingly long absence, the King and Queen had actually visited me to see how I was doing. Andrew explained what had been said between him and all the servants but so far, no one had come forth. He also mentioned that it would be best to avoid telling my mother of this matter which I was most relieved for.

If she found out, then she wouldn't hesitate to send me back to Ocerallia because she would think that my life was in grave danger.

What I couldn't understand, however, was why did Andrew agree to not tell my mother, being as he seemed to want me far away from this castle and Luke. But perhaps he thought that my mother would give him and his family the blame.