𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐕

Part 1 of this chapter!

My eyes slowly fluttered open to the sound of the maid's loud constant chatter from outside the door, but it wasn't until I felt Luke lightly running his fingers through my hair that I looked up for him to give me a smile.

"Oh... Good morning." I laughed, raising my head towards the window and staring into the orange sun which was slowly rising before leaning my head back on his chest.

"Good morning to you too." he smiled as he placed a kiss on the top of my head. "I could get used to waking up with you beside me." he whispered, continuing to play with my hair again.

"Me too." I hummed in delight as I threw my arm over his torso.

We must have stayed up until past midnight, talking about the Frost Festival and how excited we were for the day ahead, making us forget whatever else we had on our mind. Not to mention, falling asleep in his arms was the best part.

"And it's snowing outside; perfect day for the Frost Festival!" he exclaimed.

A crease appeared at my forehead as I listened, and once again, I allowed the feeling of guilt to take advantage and make me worry about yesterday's events.

"Luke... I want you to know." I breathed. "That whatever happens that I love you."

"What's going to happen?" he questioned and I swallowed uncomfortably. "I know you're scared about the change in our alliance-"

"It's not politics...It's us." I cut in as I pulled away from him. "I feel that we are testing fate here; that something bad will happen if we wed." I lied, hoping that I could somehow bring Edmund up.

"Nothing bad will happen; I promise you. I already told you that I will make my father see things the way I do and I won't let anyone else get in the way of our marriage."

"But perhaps if we are wed, then there will be a terrible price to pay afterwards." I insisted, trying to ignore the horrible voice in my head that was reminding me of Edmunds threats.

"Darling-" he started, rolling over on his side so he was leaning over me. "We've devoted our lives to our kingdoms and even if we are taking an enormous risk now with my father disagreeing, we must do what we think is right for our people." he explained whilst gently running his fingers up and down my arm. "You don't have to worry about anything else because I'll be here for you... forever." he broke into a whisper but his words felt as if I had been stabbed through the heart, and all I could do was simply nod, too shocked to try and form a sentence.

"Oh, how exciting!" Clara gasped, sticking her head out the carriages window just as it came to a stop. "There's so many people!"

A few hours after my somewhat surprising conversation with Luke; the royal family,my ladies, a few nobles and I, had just arrived in the village where the Frost Festival had already started.

Cheerful music was being played, children were madly running about and the rest of the villagers were all gathered in different numbers of people, talking away. As soon as we stepped out of the carriage, flecks of snow fell all around us and I excitedly grinned.

"Have the King and Queen arrived yet?" Mari asked, watching the carriage pull away.

"I don't think so but they should do any minute now." I shrugged, now reaching for my gloves in the fur cloaks pocket. "Come on, let's go explore!" I grinned whilst sliding them on my fingers.

The girls followed me all around the village, where we earned enthusiastic looks and bows from the townspeople. There were different stalls set up on each side of the path, selling handmade decorations and clothing as well as hot coco and butterscotch that was being served almost everywhere.