𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐗𝐈𝐗

That night I tossed and turned, trying in some way to get some shut-eye yet it was useless. I flipped over on my back and stared up at the dark curtains, millions of thoughts being the reason as to why I couldn't sleep.

I sat up and looked outside the window as the moonlight shone brightly through it and I sighed, suspecting it was long past midnight. I got up and slipped on my slippers, then went over to the window and sat down, pulling a large pillow into my arms.

Starting to rethink everything all over again, I buried my face in the soft pillow and let out a small groan, mentally begging myself to forget whatever was on my mind.

But how could I? That sentence was stuck in my very head from the moment he had said it.

"Your mind is elsewhere today Jack." Luke had said moments after James and I had walked in the throne room, intrigued by all the commotion and noise. "Is it the delightful Lady Mari perhaps? Or is it the beautiful brunette who wears a crown on her head?" he had added with a laugh which had made my eyes fully widen.

"Oh no brother, the brunette is your distraction, not mine," Jack replied which made Luke look down at the floor, to avoid his brothers smirk.

The brunette is your distraction, not mine

As soon as that sentence left Jacks mouth and seeing Lukes reaction to it, I was instantly met with astonishment. I did try to change the subject once they noticed we were in there watching, but I don't think none of them realised that James and I had heard what had been said.

Then, I was faced with the next baffling question; a brunette who wears a crown on their head?

Somehow, I felt that that could have been directed towards me but at the same time, I wasn't sure if to admit it or not.

But to be honest, I was the only brunette around here who always wore a crown on her head. My mind drifted to Nicole for a second but I was quick to shrug off that option. And a distraction? Whatever did they mean?

Dinner was the place where I began to rethink, which unfortunately even the Queen noticed I was in a mind of my own, and I had to be constantly snapped out of it by James.

James.

There was a very awkward tension between him and Luke for a reason I did not know. They kept on giving each other intense stares as if they were trying to burn holes through each other! I found it odd, considering they had never even met before.

But, I did particularly enjoy watching Luke pull all these faces whilst letting out small sneers whenever James bragged about all his accomplishments. I had to admit, James had never been this boastful before but I did have a feeling he was trying to prove something to Luke.

My hands reached up and I rubbed my eyes with my knuckles until I threw the pillow to the side and let out an annoyed huff. I needed some air to hopefully clear my head so I pulled myself back up and flattened out my nightdress. Just as I opened the door and stepped out, one of the guards raised his eyebrow thoughtfully.

"Your Majesty." he mumbled seeing I was indeed leaving my chambers as I closed the door. "Where are you going?"

"I need some air as I cannot sleep. I'll call for you if I need anything," I assured him but he gave me an unsure look. "Please." I desperately said now so he slowly nodded and I returned a small bow.

The moonlight shone brightly on the stairs, making them visible enough for one to go down them without possibly hurting themselves. I didn't exactly know where I was going but the chilly air surrounding me now was just so pleasing.

Candles were lit all around the hallway, reflecting brightly onto the guards shining armour and I stopped, noticing they were all still awake. If I went that way I would most likely be escorted back to my rooms so I span round and started down the opposite side.

I stared at the windows as I did so but then I heard a door loudly unlock and I jumped back and repeatedly blinked, trying to make out the shadowed figure.

"Sophia?" Luke's soothing voice rang in my ears and my eyes widened as he stepped into view, a cloak was thrown over his broad frame and the candlelight shone on his smooth skin, giving it an orange glow. "What are you doing out here? Are you alright?" he asked coming over, a crease of worry forming on his forehead whilst my breath hitched in my throat.

"Yes, I'm perfectly fine. I just couldn't sleep."I lowered my voice once he reached me. "What are you doing out here at this time of night?"

"I couldn't sleep either so I thought I'd come to get some fresh air. You as well?"

"Yes, although I do have a feeling I might get caught by a guard." I let out a small laugh as I looked around the hallway.

"Well, they'll see that you're with me so they won't disturb us," he said as I managed to return a flat smile. "Go on, tell me. What's on your mind?" he asked, noticing the change in my expression.

More like what wasn't on my mind.

Considering I wanted to get away to try and forget everything, now that I had bumped into Luke, it was impossible. The thoughts flooded back into my head, even more so now that he was standing right in front of me. I desperately wanted to ask him about it but I didn't know if it would come off as uncomfortable.

"Oh, its nothing. Just some late night thoughts." I waved my hand about. He gave me an unconvinced look and I let out a sigh, knowing I'd either have to lie or just ask him. "I don't know, Luke." I walked over to the window and placed my hands on the sill, staring up at the full moon.

A gust of wind suddenly ran through the long hallway, causing me to shiver and I quickly rubbed my bare arms, regretting that I didn't put a dressing gown on. But, I then felt a very warm fabric being draped over my shoulders and I looked up to see that Luke had taken off his cloak and had wrapped it around me securely, which just made my heart melt.

"It's chilly tonight," he whispered, making sure I was all covered up before he moved beside me. I snuggled into the soft material, with Lukes pleasuring scent meeting my nose. Yet, he needed it more than I did. "No, you need it; you're cold." he seriously said, seeing I was about to protest. "Now tell me. What's going on?"

"Nothing, it's just-" I paused, pursing my lips together as I contemplated on what to say. "It's about what happened earlier when you and Jack were sparring." I blurted out, already wishing I hadn't said anything in the first place. "James and I had heard your conversation and I was just curious."

Luke's head snapped down at me, his eyes widening in an instant. I watched as he brought his bottom lip in between his teeth, but the rest of his expression was unclear. He understood what I was referring to but he didn't seem keen about answering.

"For heaven's sake, why are you two wondering about in the castle so late at night?" we both jumped once we heard Liz call harshly. "Get to bed. Now!" she warned and Luke and I were both quick to scurry over to the stairs.

Liz did not look like an intimidating lady but she was. Myself nor her son were keen on getting on her bad side so we obediently followed her orders, even if it did spoil the chance for me to get something out of Luke.

Just wanted to let y'all know, that Liz is the better Hemmings lmao.

Okay so, this fic has reached 1k reads and today is #1 on the hashtag Hemmings! It came as a shock tbh. But thank you!

Anyways so this one was chapter 19 and I hope you enjoyed! There's more drama coming soon!