𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐕𝐈𝐈

Now in the old library, I was slowly strolling through the aisles, my eyes scanning the dusty shelves for a book that would have been of help but in truth, I wasn't exactly sure what I was searching for.

"Are you alright there, your Grace? You seem quite lost." I heard someone chuckle, so I turned to see a tall, dark curly-haired man with a pearl white smile leaning on one of the shelves beside me.

"Calum." I laughed, flashing him a smile."What are you doing down here? I never thought I would find you in a library."

"Well, my favourite hobby is actually reading so I thought I would come find some more books that appeal." he smiled. "But yes, my looks can be deceiving." he said, his smile being replaced with a smirk.

"Indeed." I raised my eyebrow as he reached up and grabbed a thick red book and shoved it under his arm.

"You'll find out that we're all full of surprises here. Especially Luke." he added with a bow before he walked off in the opposite direction, leaving me to stare at him astonishment.

I was snapped out of my thoughts soon enough and I turned my attention back to the books I was inspecting. But, being as I couldn't find anything, I gave up and walked back over to the pine table in the middle of the room which seated four people.

I decided to write out whatever I had learnt so far so after I grabbed a small pot of ink and a quill, I took a seat and carefully pushed away the chessboard and its pawns. I then flattened out a piece of parchment and dipped the feather into the ink when I suddenly remembered... Anne!

I had received one of her letters the second day of being here but I was so focused on settling in that I had completely forgotten to write back!

I started to neatly spell out her name at the top of the page whilst thinking about what to say next. She had written in her letter that she wanted to know everything about the castle and of course, Luke.

--

"Did William not wish to dine with us?" Liz asked, beckoning one of the servants over and I watched as he filled her goblet up again with a red liquor.

I must have spent a few hours in the library and now that my letter was on its way to Ocerallia, I couldn't help but feel relieved.

The royal family and I were currently all seated around the long table in the private dining room. The King was sitting at the very end with Liz on his right, then myself and then Nicole, Bens wife. Opposite her was Ben, Luke next and then Jack opposite his mother.

"He preferred to go hunting apparently. He's always enjoyed going bird hunting here in Cadeiric so I did not wish to spoil it for him," replied Andrew, cutting into the delicious piece of beef we were having today. "He ought to be back soon."

"I bumped into him just before I walked in here so I doubt he'll be back that soon," Luke spoke up without looking up from what he was doing, which was trying to fork a single pea and I watched in amusement at how ridiculously concentrated he was.

"Well, I think if it wasn't for the meeting earlier, he would have left before then." Jack laughed, leaning back in his chair and he pushed his dirty, empty plate away.

"I can agree." I chimed in with a grin. "When I was younger, he used to visit myself and my mother but would always try to make excuses  to leave the castle grounds for a few hours."

"It's always surprised me how he earned the title of a Duke when he's always occupied by other things." Liz laughed whilst shaking her head.

"You're quite close to him, I assume?" Jack asked with a curious look but then turned towards his younger brother.

"Yes, he's always been a good friend and al a
ly to my family and I," I explained, wiping my hands with my hanky before neatly folding it back up.

"I do beg your pardon, your Grace, but your connections with him and others are very suspicious." Luke smirked as he leaned his elbows on the table and whilst I cocked a brow, Liz looked at both of her sons alarmingly.

"Exactly! I was just thinking the same thing. Perhaps the Queen is behind it all." Jack continued with a snicker whilst leaning into Luke.

My cheeks started to burn from the way their icy blue eyes were staring at me and I looked down, feeling both uncomfortable and flattered.

"Excuse me? What are you two talking about?" Liz cleared her throat, causing Luke and Jack to swallow hard.

"We're only joking mother." Jack quickly replied and Liz gave me an apologetic look but I smiled and shook my head. "The Queen knows that too."

"Yes, its quite alright." I nodded, giving Liz a reassuring look and we all then turned back to finish our meals.

"Everyone might think that you're all innocent but I'm going to keep an eye on you. I have a feeling that you're up to something." Luke whispered as he gently nudged my leg under the table to grab my attention and I turned to see him giving me a cheeky grin.

"Is that so? Well if you want to find out, you'll need to get to know me better, won't you?" I whispered back, my mouth twitching to the right to dimple my cheek.

"That can be arranged." he said with a smug smile and he sat back in his chair, refusing to take is eyes off me...

———————————————————————

This ones more of a filler but I hope you enjoyed!